dry malt extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve6690

Reaction score
what does it do for your batch

and does it make a difference to the batch your making ie. mexican cerveza?

If you add it to a kit instead of sugar then it will give the beer more body. Too much sugar and the beer will be strong and thin.

steve6690 said:
what does it do for your batch

and does it make a difference to the batch your making ie. mexican cerveza?

Ok this is probably going to sound pretty stupid but it's a very easy way of understanding what goes on.....

The difference between beer and water is the malt in the beer that isn't fermentable. Sugar is 100% fermentable so if you add 1kg of sugar, all of the sugar will be fermented. Alcohol is thinner than water so this will lead to an overall thinner beer.

Dry malt extract is exactly the same as what is in your kit, only in dry form rather than concentrated. When added to the wort only a certain percentage of it is actually fermentable (generally between 70% and 80%). This means that when the yeast converts the sugar to alcohol, at least 20% of the extract is still there and hasn't been turned into alcohol. This means that the beer contains more "solids" and thus is denser. A denser beer is a beer with more body.

With a mexican cerveza it can make a big difference as the coopers kit has next to no body when brewed to the instructions. Adding a minimum of 500g of DME (along with the sugars) makes a good difference to the body, mouthfeel and overall taste.

Keep in mind that DME is only, at best, 80% fermentable. If a recipe calls for 1kg of sugar you would need to add 20% to that figure as only 80% of it will be fermented, if you want to keep the same ABV. The coopers cerveza ends up just over 4% when brewed with 100% sugar. Using DME would pull it under 4%. Using a mix of DME and sugar to the total of 1KG would see it around or just under 4%. I tend to add 1kg of sugar and 500g of DME for my lagers, I like to have around 5%.

right then,

well this is only my 3rd batch of home brew, and i'll be honest i have been a bit lazy with the research ive done into it, everything ive done was drinkable,
and not planned and preped my equipment schedule to how i would want. as i have only just started really getting into it im now find out there is a whole lot more to making the home brew than mixing the content of the can with 23l of water, sugar, and yeast. ive now found out the above about DME and i cant help but feel disapointed with my self over it

id already started to mix the kit before thinking id read the instructions (foolish i now know) (but in my weak defence the word "kit" to me implys all you would need) and then read about the DME.

so i now have a other questions which i think i know the answer to some of.

>> its too late to add some DME to my fermenter isnt it.
>> will my beer be drinkable (the people who will be drinking it arnt fussy and add blackcurrant etc to whatever they drink anyway)

cheers again

It's never to late in the primary to add some DME IMO. The brew will just be stronger than it would be if you don't add it. The additional body and all the other positives will still be there.

I tend to add 1kg of brewing sugar and 500g of DME to bulk out and strengthen my kit beers.

What kit did you buy and what method did you use? Did you add sugar?

i bought the coopers mexican cerveza and just added 1kg of sugar

Right well i'll remember that for next time, always thought that once youve started and the lids on try not to touch it until your ready to bottle,

See atm i have to put my fermentor in the airing cuboard as its the only play i can leave it where the temp is good and my littlens wont tamper with it,

Im hoping to sort my garage out so that i can do all my home brew in there and suppose turn it into a bar ( or man cave as im trying to persuade the mrs)

Hi, I read on an American site that the fella added something called beano tablets to his beer to make the unfermentable sugars ferment. This had the effect of reducing the carbohydrate level as well, so producing a light beer without affecting the taste!! (beano seems to contain mostly amalyse, used by wine makers when fermenting root veg)!

I've always just swapped sugar straight for DME and maybe a 5% brew will drop to 4.6% ish but it's not all about the ABV, if you can make a 4% beer that is brilliant in every way why would you want to mess with it by adding more sugar, just to get a few more points up on your hydrometer, think of the flavour when making your own beer, unless you specifically want to make a big beer but most kits don't suit being made big.

Latest posts

Back