E-bike battery fires

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It seems to be fairly regularly occurrence especially when the battery is overcharged, in the video in post #2 she says 202 have caught fire in New York causing 6 deaths and many injuries,

A man who bought an e-bike as a present for his 11-year-old son says he has "lost everything" after it caught on fire and destroyed his home.

It comes as charity Electrical Safety First calls for legislation requiring batteries for e-bikes and e-scooters to be regulated like fireworks and heavy machinery to better ensure their safety.

Andrew Beaton, 60, from Lancaster says it was only because his son went to get a drink in the night that his, his wife and his two children's lives were saved.

Andrew said: "My son heard a pop, pop, pop. He went to go back upstairs and 'bang', the bike exploded.

"Everything's gone, we lost everything within three of four minutes. Everything is burnt out.

"We've lost all my kid's stuff, my wife's. It's probably about £50,000 worth of damage."

He added: "I jumped up and ran downstairs. The bike was gushing up like a big firework.

"As I picked the bike up to throw it outside, the batteries fell out and they were going off like little hand grenade's.

"I think we were lucky. If it were not for my son getting up, we wouldn't be here."

Andrew says he escaped his home, which he has lived in for 45 years, in just his underwear and a pair of glasses.

His wife and daughter only managed to escape from the upstairs landing after he rushed back and forth from the kitchen with buckets of water.

The dad has now been told by the council he will be able to move back into his home in 20-30 weeks, but he says he finds that unlikely.

He and his family are now living at his mother-in-law's.

He said: "If I had known the risk now, I wouldn't have bought an e-bike. I'd say charge them outside.

"It's frustrating. I bought a toy for my 11-year-old son and it's devastated our lives."

Martyn Allen, Technical Director at Electrical Safety First said: "We need tighter regulation to make sure if you buy a scooter or e-bike you know it's safe.

"In New York City, they put regulations in place, so that any battery needs to be self-certified by an independent test house.

"The really high energy products have enough energy in them similar to a grenade. The flames are so ferocious, it's an absolutely terrifying ordeal."

A government spokesperson said: “The Office for Product and Safety and Standards is working closely with the fire brigade to ensure product safety issues are properly assessed and action is taken to protect consumers.

“If manufacturers don’t comply with product safety regulations, appropriate enforcement action will be taken such as ordering the removal of the product from the market.”

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/20...-for-young-son-loses-home-in-devastating-fire

1690486623624.png
1690486679808.png
es

Last edited:
Yes there has been quite a few reports in the news.

Same goes for cheap battery power tools.

I charge my battery off the bike indoors, attended as the batteries are not samsung or lg.
I also use the supplied charger which is 48v 3a. I am aware some bikes have a 2a charger so plugging a 3a in to 'speed up' charging time is a dangerous idea.
I put the kitchen timer on every 30 mins and check the battery charge state also the battery is charged on a hard surface not a carpet and is not covered by anything.

I suppose if the bikes really get a lot of hard offroad use the shocks could cause a mechanical failure as well in less premium batteries. So I think some of these incidents will be caused by misuse/damage to the battery not only cheaply built battery packs.

I also have an escape route from the house that doesn't require passing where the battery is charging. I even do the same charging my li-ion cordless drill battery and that is about 8 times less stored energy. The only other thing I could easily do is have the plug socket auto power off, but that might make me a bit complacent re: 30 min checks.

Unfortunately I suspect a lot of these incidents are associated with Chinese grey import products and/or conversion kits for regular bikes. Anything being sold legitimately in the UK by a respected bike manufacturer would have had to undergo a lot of testing to get onto the UK market. Any sort of incident like this would be very damaging to their business not only due to bad press but also the investigations, possible recalls, and potential compensation claims etc.

I mess around a bit with radio control cars and drones as a hobby. Lithium polymer batteries have revolutionized the hobby, the power and runtimes you can get from such a small pack especially on something with brushless motors is phenomenal. However I'm also well aware as to just how dangerous the batteries are if abused, even the smallest pack can generate a lot of flames. All it takes is to over charge or even over discharge a battery to cause a catastrophic failure, hence why good battery management circuitry is vital for both the battery in use or being charged. I know what I'm doing with these and understand the charging methods as I'm an electronic engineer, but I still won't leave a battery charging for any length of time without checking on it once in a while. They also go in a fire resistant pack when being charged.

No smoke detector then?
I dont know if they had one but having watched a few videos of these things exploding i would say you would have no chance of saving your home even if you did have one.

Council property so I would be surprised if they didn’t have them and they were well maintained.

Fully agree and if they're not hard wired, the sad truth is that some residents won't maintain it (i.e. replaced the battery).

Pretty sure every Fire Brigade will provide and fit one for free, but some people don't get the importance.

The amount of people I had to deal with (in a former life) who tamper with or actively break heat detectors in buildings with external wall issues would astound you.

Last edited:
Fully agree and if they're not hard wired, the sad truth is that the residents probably haven't maintained it (i.e. replaced the battery).

Pretty sure every Fire Brigade will provide and fit one for free, but some people don't get the importance.

The amount of people I had to deal with (in a former life) who tamper with or actively break heat detectors in buildings with external wall issues would astound you.
Not really as I do maintenance for social housing and the number of people that remove their smoke alarms and leave them untill we do an inspection is frightening. Total lack of common sense. And they don’t even have to pay to get them replaced.
Removed because they were beeping !! A battery is less than £1 ffs. Kids in the house as well. Makes me mad 😡

Not really as I do maintenance for social housing and the number of people that remove their smoke alarms and leave them untill we do an inspection is frightening. Total lack of common sense. And they don’t even have to pay to get them replaced.
Removed because they were beeping !! A battery is less than £1 ffs. Kids in the house as well. Makes me mad 😡

Completely agree with everything you say. I think hard wired is the way forward, and should the standard, but that still needs residents to replace the back-up and report any issues. Many won't as they're glad the beeping stops after long enough.

Fully agree and if they're not hard wired, the sad truth is that the residents probably haven't maintained it (i.e. replaced the battery).

Wow a lot of assumption in the thread no one knows if they had an alarm or not, what difference would having a smoke alarm have made here -

An increasing number of fires being caused by batteries exploding has led to the London Fire Brigade encouraging people not to charge e-bikes in their homes. This footage from Roehampton in south west London was the second such blast in two weeks.

I didn't comment on whether they had a fire alarm or not.

I agreed as they were in a Council property they probably did have an alarm.

I was talking generally and wasn't talking about this particular case. By "residents" I didn't mean these particular residents and will change that.

Am talking from first-hand experience where fire safety devices are actively tampered with, but didn't mean anything in this particular case.

Right to pull me up on it, but that really wasn't my intent.

Completely agree with everything you say. I think hard wired is the way forward, and should the standard, but that still needs residents to replace the back-up and report any issues. Many won't as they're glad the beeping stops after long enough.
Hard wired is the standard and has been for a while. Battery back up can be rechargeable or standard. The problems occur when the battery becomes low mainly due to the pay as you go meter running out of credit and the smoke alarms going onto battery power and the alarm beeps and the tennant removes it to stop it beeping.
Why would anyone remove a life saving device to save £1 on a battery ?
Don’t get me started on the social system. 🙄

It should be the legal standard. Any decent HA/Council Landlord would do it, but it's not the mandated by law to install them (hard-wired), at least in England & Wales

I think I may have drifted the conversation away from the original post anyway so will bow out now, as much as our experience aligns. (A general fire safety thread might be useful, but I imagine most brewers have an in-built understanding and anxiety about things that could go wrong, so maybe preaching to the choir).

Last edited:
It should be the legal standard. Any decent HA/Council Landlord would do it, but it's not the mandated by law to install them (hard-wired), at least in England & Wales

I think I may have drifted the conversation away from the original post anyway so will bow out now, as much as our experience aligns. (A general fire safety thread might be useful, but I imagine most brewers have an in-built understanding and anxiety about things that could go wrong, so maybe preaching to the choir).
Is it under building regs? We have hard wired at home. Battery in the caravan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back