E-bike battery fires

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you would struggle to find any council property that does not have hard wired interlinked smoke alarms in them. Private landlords are different.

Scottish Position​

From February 2022 all homes in Scotland must be fitted with interlinking smoke and heat alarms. one smoke alarm in every "Public Space", heat alarm in kitchens. In addition carbon monoxide alarms are required if there is a carbon-fuelled appliance or flue (but not interlinked to smoke alarms)

Power supply: All alarms must be powered either from the mains electricity circuit or by a sealed battery lasting the full lifespan of the alarm.

Interlink: Smoke and heat alarms must either be interlinked by cable or by wireless radio-frequency interlink. Carbon monoxide alarms do not have to interlink with the smoke and heat alarms

This aplies to all homes, not just new builds or rented.

I fitted mains alarms, but have never seen the alarm police.
Oh, and you insurance still covers you if no alarms fitted.

Note - Alarms have an expire date and need to replaced every 10 years anyway.

Public spaces are halls, living spaces, offices, stair wells. Perhaps easier to say any space except bedrooms.

Last edited:
The new Renting Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) (Wales) Regulations 2022 come into effect in July 2022 and stipulate that rented accommodation in Wales must be fitted with mains-powered and interlinked fire alarms with at least one smoke alarm installed on each storey of the dwelling. In addition, carbon monoxide detectors are required in each room of the dwelling that contains a carbon-fuelled appliance or flue.

Power supply: All fire alarms must be powered either from the mains electricity circuit or a dedicated mains circuit from the consumer unit.

Interlink: Smoke and heat alarms must either be interlinked by cable or by wireless radio-frequency interlink. Carbon monoxide alarms do not have to interlink with the smoke and heat alarms.Wales

From the BBC:

"Forensic vehicle examiner Gary Roberts said he believed the bike was a Chinese copy of a Stealth Bomber electric bike, which was capable of travelling at 70mph (110km/h)."

The BBC posting misleading reports again. Whilst the bike that crashed may have been a copy of the Famous Stealth Bomber the copy had an 800 watt motor and would not have been able to reach 70mph under power.

The rider died hitting a lamppost at 26mph. The bike that crashed would have been capable of around 30mph on its own motor power. There are plenty of youtube videos to proof check up on that.

If the bike had survived the crash what about the forces on the battery? Buying e-bikes second-hand if there is any sign of impact damage best to walk away.

I replaced our hardwired with 10 year ones.
Hardwires get ignored, sensors do fade.

And Yes a smoke detector would have made a difference, but how much depends on who hears it.

There's a lot of notices appearing at stations etc saying that e-scooters aren't allowed in the lifts but no-one takes any notice.
The company I work for have developed an AI system that can detect the prescence of an e-scooter in a lift and if it detects one, the doors won't close.

There's a lot of notices appearing at stations etc saying that e-scooters aren't allowed in the lifts but no-one takes any notice.
The company I work for have developed an AI system that can detect the prescence of an e-scooter in a lift and if it detects one, the doors won't close.
wow you'd have to carry it under a long coat to get round camera recognition.

Why? Is it a space thing?

I saw a YT video from a custom battery builder teardown a battery a customer had bought to replace his original failed battery. It was an incendiary bomb with a delayed fuse. Only 1/4 of the cells were connected to the BMS. Money saving and insulated connections were rubbing against sharp solder points. The cells were Samsung but it was a deathtrap.

I saw a YT video from a custom battery builder teardown a battery a customer had bought to replace his original failed battery. It was an incendiary bomb with a delayed fuse. Only 1/4 of the cells were connected to the BMS. Money saving and insulated connections were rubbing against sharp solder points. The cells were Samsung but it was a deathtrap.
done over 500 miles on mine now. I use the chart below to ensure it's around 80% when not on the bike. I'd only charge to full if immediately going out most of the time 80% is more than enough. The manual also warns to charge the battery for 3 hours for every 2 months of non use - That doesn't apply to me. I use a multimeter to get a more accurate reading than the battery indicator lights built into the battery. So usually I don't have to wait for an hour or two to charge it up 30 mins for a top up most of the time.

1696319959561.png

I have seen hardwired turned off at the breaker.... "cos we cannot afford the leccy".

They are now wired to the lighting circuit.

Back