Early taste test - poor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
I opened one of my bottles of Brewfrem Triple lat night, mainly to test the carbonation before i move it into the garage to condition. (been sat in house for a week since bottling)

Obviously i couldnt resist testing it.

Tastes pretty awful, not off or anything but "chemically" id say a bit chlorine like. :sick:

Now, when i made this i did condition the water i used with half a CT and have never had any chemical flavours in the water (or noticed anything in other wine/beer ive made).

I hope this is a severe case of "it gets better with time". I know these higher alcohol brews take many weeks to mature but i was surprised at how unpalatable it was, i actually poured it down the sink (which is a first for me).

On the plus side, it had carbonated very well. :thumb:

I did the tripel back in August. I opened one last week and it still needs time to sort itself out but it is mightily better than when it came out of the FV. I did the framboose one and that took 9 months before it was actually drinkable. I wasted alot of bottles testing it tho. I would recommend leaving well alone for at least 6 months before trying another one.

Darcey said:
I did the framboose one and that took 9 months before it was actually drinkable.

:eek:

Sorry to change the topic, but can you explain how the taste changed over thsoe 9 months?

I have just done this kit, started it about 8 weeks ago, been in bottles about 6 weeks. Tastes ok but not as good as I'd hoped. It's not particularly high strength, 5.5 maybe. I normally keept things 8 weeks ebfore drinking, but the Missus was impatient to try this.

I don't have the room to store many beers 9 months before drinking! The longest i have ever kept something (bearing in mind I only started doign thsi at teh start of the year) is the Brewferm Christmas kit, which i will start drinking in approximately 1 month time, and was bottled in July.

Beer is a 'living thing' and complex chemical reactions will take place after fermentation with the sugars and acids and other compounds. The colour taste and mouth feel can all change with time.

The stronger the beer the more maturation it will take. I had a 5% bitter which I brewed this time last year and I found a bottle. It was wonderful unfortunately I had tipped half of it into a stew thinking it was an old stout which had been condemned to cooking (it was never very good from the start).

Unfortunately we are all conditioned to drinking green fresh beer which is how breweries would like us to drink it as they can get it shipped out and sold as soon as it is brewed.

Time really is a great healer with beer.

One last thought your chlorine taste did you use a chlorine based sanitiser by any chance :whistle: :whistle:

Yes, i did, i think (VWP)

I thought of that myself but id be very surprised and dissapointed if id done that.

Im very methodical with my setup for clreaning sterilising etc, its always rinse with water, into bucket of VWP for 10 minutes, then rinse twice with water and drain.

Its possible i dropped a nut somewhere but i hope not.

It doesnt really taste VWP'ie (if that makes sense), its almost as if its coming out of the bubles (the fizz)???

ALL the brewferm kits:

1: Haven taken the LONGEST to condition of ANY kit beer I have done...
2: Have almost certainly been the most EXPENSIVE pint for pint I have done..
and
3: Have been the BEST kits I have done.. IF left for over 6 months!!

Dont waste your kit! Brew another one straight after and enjoy loads of lovely beer in a few months time rather than lots of average beer while you test it every now and then!

its quite bizarre this beer stuff... :?
ive just come back from a tour of the wytchwood brewery in witney, and they ferment their beers in 12 hrs, then send them by tanker to be bottled ... no time for maturing or off tastes to clear... :wha:

artyb said:
ive just come back from a tour of the wytchwood brewery in witney, and they ferment their beers in 12 hrs, then send them by tanker to be bottled ... no time for maturing or off tastes to clear... :wha:

How far does the tanker take the beer? Also, do they filter it or anything before shipping? If not, it likely continues fermenting in the tanker :)

the tanker takes the beer to burton to be bottled at one of the plants,owned by the parent company,
two tankers a day leave the brewery,and they ferment two vats per day/night,
they remove the top acting yeast from the fv,with a floating collection device,
but leave a very small percent for secondary fermentation
was a very interesting tour of the brewery,a couple of hrs,and only around £7

artyb said:

I believe at John Sm*ths they skip out the brewing process completely and just move on to canning :lol: :lol:

Cask beer and ales can often be casked and drinkable in a week~ from fermentation. The bottling process usualy requires some form of clearing and filtering at the bottling plant. All beer 'conditioning' is done by adding Co2 in an industrial process so no waiting for bottle conditioning etc..

graysalchemy said:
Beer is a 'living thing' and complex chemical reactions will take place after fermentation with the sugars and acids and other compounds. The colour taste and mouth feel can all change with time.

I am aware of this, but 9 months is incredible just before something becomes drinkable! How many people have teh storage for nine months worth of beer!? Not me that's for sure. I leave mine about 8 weeks before i start on them.

I've got approx 120 bottles in my garage which i brewed in february, They've taken a fair bit of room up but it will be worth it!
Hopefully will of conditioned nicely. :drink:

If you want beer that you can tiurn round don't brew high gravity or complex beers they take time. I have just bottle a barley wine which I will sample at christmas but it won't be until next christmas that it will begin to take shape. Aleman and others keep their russian imperial stouts for 3-4 years.

8 weeks for most beers is fine but as you have discovered some take a lot lot longer. When you discover a beer you brewed a year ago you appreciate time and wish you had kept it all.

Back