Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up an Adnams keg at the weekend, which got me thinking and then I stumbled upon this thread and looks like I'm not the only one!

Been doing a bit of googling on dispensers and found this. £180 on Amazon is a bit steep, but you can buy direct for £100, which I could just about justify as a xmas present to myself! Has anyone else got one?

Picked up an Adnams keg at the weekend, which got me thinking and then I stumbled upon this thread and looks like I'm not the only one!

Been doing a bit of googling on dispensers and found this. �£180 on Amazon is a bit steep, but you can buy direct for �£100, which I could just about justify as a xmas present to myself! Has anyone else got one?

When you think the tap costs £30 alone this seems great value. I'd love to hear a review of one.

I bottled my Mocha Porter in 2 mini kegs an bottles but I think one of my kegs is leaking. There was liquid seeping through after I set the bung into the top, I've squeezed it down well and hopefully fixed the problem but I'll know if my beer is flat.

I drank the Hobgoblin over the weekend, horrible to start with but I got used to it. I've still to wash my kegs out and I'm a little unsure how to dismatle them. I've a Vanilla Stout to go into these in 2 weeks.

I like the handiness of these, I've a full keg set up but don't have a brewing fridge (yet). These are a great halfway house, great for friends and great for parties.

I've still to wash my kegs out and I'm a little unsure how to dismatle them. I've a Vanilla Stout to go into these in 2 weeks.

I posted this a few days ago, rather than point you to that post here is the info again:

To remove the top bung:
1. pull the red twist bit off just by pulling it upwards
2. use the handle end of a spoon to push the red inner piece into the minikeg
3. remove the black rubber bung just by prizing it up - mine came up and off without the need to use a tool of any kind.
4. pop some water into the mini keg and empty out to retrieve the red piece you pushed into the keg in step 2.

The top bung assembly can be re-assembled for re-use as long as you haven't damaged anything getting it out !

rinse out well with warm water, including the tap at the bottom, then store with some starsan solution in until you ready to refil.

I knew I read the instructions on this thread and I've also seen a Youtube video. Laziness on my part but I'd have got around to it eventually. Thanks for the repost!

I have actually used one of these Glentouran whilst on holiday in Austaralia,you buy the keg and you get instant draught beer,they are very good,theres also some different kinds of draught systems when shopping in the big wine and beer murchants,and very cheap,didnt realise you could get them here,not a bad price.
When you think the tap costs ��£30 alone this seems great value. I'd love to hear a review of one.

I bottled my Mocha Porter in 2 mini kegs an bottles but I think one of my kegs is leaking. There was liquid seeping through after I set the bung into the top, I've squeezed it down well and hopefully fixed the problem but I'll know if my beer is flat.

I drank the Hobgoblin over the weekend, horrible to start with but I got used to it. I've still to wash my kegs out and I'm a little unsure how to dismatle them. I've a Vanilla Stout to go into these in 2 weeks.

I like the handiness of these, I've a full keg set up but don't have a brewing fridge (yet). These are a great halfway house, great for friends and great for parties.

Last edited:
When you think the tap costs �£30 alone this seems great value. I'd love to hear a review of one.

The reason I'm looking is that I'd have to lose a shelf out of the fridge to fit a keg in, which probably wouldn't go down too well, so the fact this has a built in chiller is a plus and they look cool too! The down sides are that it would take up space in the kitchen, which will also be frowned upon, it doesn't use CO2 and I can't find any reviews, which I'm a bit wary of.

The other option is to get one of those dispenser taps mentioned previously and a beer keg cooler jacket thingy, but I've not looked into the cost yet.

I pressume all the kegs in the supermarkets are the same? has anyone modified one yet,i.e can it be made to input c02.

Not all kegs work (from reading this thread) but the good news for us brewers is that the cheaper the keg (like Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin), the more likely it is to suit us. You can also buy the mini kegs empty for around £6 + delivery.

I was referring to the keg cooler/ dispenser for a review. It seems a nifty work top solution for those that have no space for a brewing fridge.

Not all kegs work (from reading this thread) but the good news for us brewers is that the cheaper the keg (like Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin), the more likely it is to suit us. You can also buy the mini kegs empty for around �£6 + delivery.

I was referring to the keg cooler/ dispenser for a review. It seems a nifty work top solution for those that have no space for a brewing fridge.

That dispenser looks smart, but I'm surprised it says it keeps beer fresh for only 7 days? I thought the CO2 taps kept the beer for longer than that. I thought the easy kegs with the pull out taps only lasted 7 days.

I posted this a few days ago, rather than point you to that post here is the info again:

To remove the top bung:
1. pull the red twist bit off just by pulling it upwards
2. use the handle end of a spoon to push the red inner piece into the minikeg
3. remove the black rubber bung just by prizing it up - mine came up and off without the need to use a tool of any kind.
4. pop some water into the mini keg and empty out to retrieve the red piece you pushed into the keg in step 2.

The top bung assembly can be re-assembled for re-use as long as you haven't damaged anything getting it out !

rinse out well with warm water, including the tap at the bottom, then store with some starsan solution in until you ready to refil.

Do you use CO2 with yours? Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of of different systems and wondered if it's necessary?

That dispenser looks smart, but I'm surprised it says it keeps beer fresh for only 7 days? I thought the CO2 taps kept the beer for longer than that. I thought the easy kegs with the pull out taps only lasted 7 days.

It doesn't use CO2, I think that's why.

Do you use CO2 with yours? Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of of different systems and wondered if it's necessary?

Just starting out with mine Hops, got 3 kegs filled, one cold conditioning now and 2 others primed and carbing in the warm currently. I got the party star tap with 16g CO2 bulbs and am planning to do bit of both - ie some CO2 for drinking at home over a period of time using the tap and some not for taking to parties/drinking in one night (just using the built in pull-out tap on the keg).

You do need to think/plan a bit if doing both as when kegging the beer into the mini-keg you need to use either an air bung or a CO2 bung (with punchable middle stopper) when filling/sealing the keg.

It does say on the website

"Controlled CO ² pressure for perfect, sparkling beer"

To be fair it also says

"No CO ² cartridges"

So I think it does use C02, but not cartridges.

Yes, apologies, you're right. I've emailed them to ask how it works!

Just starting out with mine Hops, got 3 kegs filled, one cold conditioning now and 2 others primed and carbing in the warm currently. I got the party star tap with 16g CO2 bulbs and am planning to do bit of both - ie some CO2 for drinking at home over a period of time using the tap and some not for taking to parties/drinking in one night.

You do need to think a bit if doing both as when kegging the beer into the mini-keg you need to use either an air bung or a CO2 bung (with punchable middle stopper) when filling/sealing the keg.

Thanks Sparpro. I don't want to get into the habit of finishing off a keg because I have to drink it before it goes off.

Thanks Sparpro. I don't want to get into the habit of finishing off a keg because I have to drink it before it goes off.
You wouldn't need to with the party star tap - with Co2, your beer will last ages if you top up the CO2 in short bursts after pouring pint or 2 (no need to use the whole bulb in one go).

I was making the point that if you use a mini keg without the party star tap and just use the air bung and integrated keg tap (like the ones in tescos etc) then you do need to drink them in 2-3 days really - or in one evening at a party with friends.

Back