Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used a Party Star tap to top up with CO2, but drawn the beer from the bottom tap of a Mini Keg (EDIT: Or is it Easy Keg. I've forgotten. The one with the tap)? Just thinking that would be a reasonable way to keep a keg fresh, while maintaining more of a traditional ale 'feel' to the beer. Unless I'm missing an obvious downside. If noone has, I've got a keg of Summer Ale that's due to be popped this evening and I'll trial it..

I have done that and it works well. I have the Party Star Tap but also a Profi Tap with CO2 injector. The Profi tap, although doesn't have as good dispensing tap as the Party Star has the advantage of being able to connect a CO2 source to it instead of the expensive 18gm CO2 bulbs. I use either a pub CO2 bottle or a Sodastream bottle and resort to the 18gm bulbs only when I need to.

I have done that and it works well. I have the Party Star Tap but also a Profi Tap with CO2 injector. The Profi tap, although doesn't have as good dispensing tap as the Party Star has the advantage of being able to connect a CO2 source to it instead of the expensive 18gm CO2 bulbs. I use either a pub CO2 bottle or a Sodastream bottle and resort to the 18gm bulbs only when I need to.

Interesting. Do you need to purchase any connectors to connect the CO2 source to the profi tap? I can see that as being the way forward for my cask oriented beers. I'm really hoping my second experience with Easy Keg's is better than my first one. I'm pretty sure it will be, because I'm certain the first experience (murky beer) was my fault and not the kegs.

It's just a push on tube on the top of the Profi. You need a regulated CO2 source of course. Limit the pressure to 5 PSI or so or just enough to dispense. It also takes the air pump on the top as well. If I know the beer will be drunk in a few days I will use the air pump as the heavier layer of CO2 is reasonable protection for a short period.

Interesting. Do you need to purchase any connectors to connect the CO2 source to the profi tap? I can see that as being the way forward for my cask oriented beers. I'm really hoping my second experience with Easy Keg's is better than my first one. I'm pretty sure it will be, because I'm certain the first experience (murky beer) was my fault and not the kegs.

Leyland brewing do some sort of C02 injecting device which you then use the integral gravity tap to get the beer out the keg. It's half theprice of the party star tap
http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/beer-protector-with-co2-injector-1499-p.asp

This is the setup I use for Sodastream or bottle. I can use either the Profi tap or the built in tap on the keg.

i-FgzPhWp-XL.jpg

Thats the regulator usually for the Corny kegs which I used to use. I have started adapting to the 5L Kegs now as they fit in the fridge. The corny's don't.
The only bit you get with the Profi tap is the black bit. I pictured the full setup to show how to connect up. The regulator is from http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/co2...-pressure-gauge-adjustable-pressure-p184.html

And the adapter for a Sodastream bottle is http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/adapters-for-co2-regulators-sodastream-cylinder-adapters-gsc2.html

Leyland brewing do some sort of C02 injecting device which you then use the integral gravity tap to get the beer out the keg. It's half theprice of the party star tap
http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/beer-protector-with-co2-injector-1499-p.asp

In some ways I regret getting the Party Star Tap now, but there was so much choice at the time it all got a little confusing. But in retrospect for me the better option is the Profi tap as it's a 3 in one solution. Tap, alternative CO2 connection and Air pump. The beer protector is a similar thing by the looks of things except the tap has been removed. The other option I looked at was the Keg Connector http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/keg-connector-1495-p.asp which is similar to the Profi tap with remote CO2 source capability but also remote tap. More for use in a Kegerator I think. Having both lets me have two different kegs on the go at the same time so no loss.

My experience with Easy Kegs continues to be less than smooth :lol: Inserted Party Star - all good. Decided to have a sneaky snifter from the bottom tap. Glass not in place in time! Rush of beer splattered all over self and floor :doh:

Resorted to pouring a small glass from the Party Star. All seems well under the froth :)

I'm quite please with this. Just drawn a pint of Summer ale from the bottom tap of my Easy Keg. Earlier I'd drawn a half from the Party Star. Very different experiences from the two. The Party Star half was a a bit harsher, less full in flavour. This is much nicer. Much more 'real ale'. Whereas the Party Star produces a tight head, this is much more pillowy; more like a yeast starter for bread. And the mouthfeel and flavour seem to be much deeper and more rounded! I might have a bad head tomorrow morning :lol:

2016-07-08%2018.08.17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've just re-filled my three MKs with Fulstows Recession Session and I will be ordering another six MKs later this evening.

However, I have a question to ask.

When we buy a MK full of pressurised beer it comes with a tap at the bottom and an "Open/Close" vent at the top.

Amazingly enough, with these two bits of kit we all seem to manage to remove the beer from the MK and drink it without any problem well within the "Use in less than a week!" warning.

So my question is:

"Why do we all seem determined to complicate matters with
pressure gauges, CO2 capsules, regulators, air pumps etc?"
:confused::confused::confused:

I can see your point. But if I have a number of kegs and a number of different brews in them then I might like to shelve one that has been tapped and partially drunk and for that it needs a nice CO2 blanket. If it's drunk in a few days then not a problem I suppose. I found the air pump very useful though. Pressure soon dies after the first glass or two and then seems to dribble out a bit pathetically. The air pump seems to give it a nice push and even produce a reasonable head.

I've just re-filled my three MKs with Fulstows Recession Session and I will be ordering another six MKs later this evening.

When we buy a MK full of pressurised beer it comes with a tap at the bottom and an "Open/Close" vent at the top.

Amazingly enough, with these two bits of kit we all seem to manage to remove the beer from the MK and drink it without any problem well within the "Use in less than a week!" warning.

So my question is:

I was considering getting some sort of C02 system but I've realized my MK's never last more than about 3-4 days, so there no need to bother.

So my question is:

I find a untreated keg goes flat after 3 days so need co2 to keep it fresh. I find the party star pours a better pint.

Why not? :lol:

EDIT: In seriousness. I've never bought a full MK, simply because I know I won't drink that much beer in a week. Even if I do drink that much beer in a week, I'd rather drink a variety of different beers, therefore I'd prefer to store it for longer periods and enjoy over a longer time.

Back