Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly! Having read through this thread it seems the beer will survive around four/five days with the bog standard Easy Keg system. I would envisage only putting a fairly light 4% beer in the keg which would get finished easily over a weekend (being thursday to sunday), and could keep my bottles for stronger IPAs etc that I would only be having the odd one of.

This is exactly my plan. Fill the kegs with milds and ordinary bitters to drink over Thursday to sunday too and use bottles for my 5% stouts (or anything else I make of about that strength)

I have 10 of these on rotation and use them with the party star tap, bloody love 'em. The tap is worth every penny in my book although I was drinking a Coopers sparkling ale at the weekend and didn't need the co2 at all but it normally gives a very smooth pint right to the bottom of the barrel. They take up less storage, quicker to fill when 'bottling' up and fit great in the fridge for a good sesh. Been using them for over 12 months and apart from 1 keg which I didn't prime :doh: I haven't had any problems at all.
Most of the kegs in the supermarket are re-useable even if they say they aren't, just hook out the top cap and replace with these http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/easy-keg-vent-bung-788-p.asp

Happy birthday for wednesday!

Would be very interested to see what you think of the party star deluxe kit. Is it worth the extra expense? From my terrible maths you are paying about �£40 for the tap dispenser, is it really worth that when the mini kegs already have a tap at the bottom?

Thanks.

I had initially thought I could try fining my beer then force carbing in the mini-keg using the CO2 tap system - so I can take clear, sediment free beer to a mates party.

Since ordering I've found a few varying opions 'ont web' on that, some saying you would need to use 3 x CO2 cartridges which makes it expensive, and some saying the mini keg itself won't hold that level of CO2 without buckling. Also read about others injecting 1 cartridge then rolling the keg for 20 mins to 'force' carb it.

Anyway, will investigate a bit more once I have it. I guess I may sometimes use the top tap and sometimes not, if taking a keg to a party for supping with mates in one night it doesn't sound like it adds much.

Can anyone suggest priming amounts for these kegs, for different beer styles?

First attempt at using the Brewferm Keg system no disasters very easy to use and serves a nice creamy pint, photo taken straight after pouring

keg.JPG

First attempt at using the Brewferm Keg system no disasters very easy to use and serves a nice creamy pint, photo taken straight after pouring

That looks like a great pint Steve,

Did you prime with sugar, if so how much ? or did you do something funky with the CO2 to force prime ?

Mine should be arriving today but will be a couple of weeks before my current brew is ready to be kegged/bottled.

Yes Steve, how come you are already serving beer from them, you only got them at the weekend did you not?

That looks like a great pint Steve,

Did you prime with sugar, if so how much ? or did you do something funky with the CO2 to force prime ?

Mine should be arriving today but will be a couple of weeks before my current brew is ready to be kegged/bottled.
I primed with 6 teaspoons of sugar from what I gather all these kegs you still need to prime

I use 3 t-spoons of sugar per keg, the first few pints are lively enough that you don't need the co2 until the last 4-5 pints. 6 t-spoons it will be pints of froth all round :eek:

If you don't prime the kegs ( like I did ) then the beer doesn't do secondary fermentation and it tastes just like it came straight out of the FV. Not good

I use 3 t-spoons of sugar per keg, the first few pints are lively enough that you don't need the co2 until the last 4-5 pints. 6 t-spoons it will be pints of froth all round :eek:

If you don't prime the kegs ( like I did ) then the beer doesn't do secondary fermentation and it tastes just like it came straight out of the FV. Not good

These kinds of kegs can easily be distorted and ruined by over carbonation. I've read posts elsewhere which described them being 'blown' which meant the bottom and top were permanently domed and the shape was ruined. I can't remember how much was recommended on my kegs but it was a surprisingly small amount. I bought a pressure system with tap and CO2 bulbs and rubber bungs and stuff - Brewfirm Kegs they were. I had bother getting them to hold pressure reliably, though one lot worked fine and served up really nicely on the pressure from the secondary fermentation for about a third of the keg - maybe half. Then I had to start squirting in the gas from the bulbs.

I bought all my kit from Leyland home brew and so far they have been faultless, holding pressure great. By the time I get round to drinking them they have been sitting in the garage for 3 months and the pressure is fine, I have a couple with Brewferm Gold in that have been in there since February which I'll be cracking open at Christmas. I also use a lot of bottles and the brewferm stuff gets better the longer it's left so am hoping for a great pint with those.
Stevej got it right when he said to use 1/3 the priming sugar you normally would
I usually use 1 t-spoon per 500ml bottle. 10 bottles per 5 ltr keg divided by 3 should be 3 t-spoons.?

Check my pic hardly pints of froth:roll:

not having a go so no need for the rolly eyes, just speaking from my own experience. I posted earlier that the keg I opened on saturday didn't need any co2 as it was so lively from 3 t-spoons of sugar, if anything too lively
I also said that you had it right with your statement to use 1/3 the amount of sugar so was interested where you got 6 t-spoons from
I'm only going off what I was told when I bought my kegs and it's worked for me

not having a go so no need for the rolly eyes, just speaking from my own experience. I posted earlier that the keg I opened on saturday didn't need any co2 as it was so lively from 3 t-spoons of sugar, if anything too lively
I also said that you had it right with your statement to use 1/3 the amount of sugar so was interested where you got 6 t-spoons from
I'm only going off what I was told when I bought my kegs and it's worked for me

I do stand corrected i have just checked the measuring spoon i used, i bought a set off Ebay of various sizes and the one i used was 3/4 teaspoon

I just looked at your pic and the tap is exactly the same as my party star tap, cracking piece of kit and haven't had any bother from mine at all.
Original set up cost isn't cheap but I wouldn't be without one now and a co2 bulb lasts for 2-3 kegs so only adds pennies onto the price of a pint and it's well worth the cost :drink:

I just looked at your pic and the tap is exactly the same as my party star tap, cracking piece of kit and haven't had any bother from mine at all.
Original set up cost isn't cheap but I wouldn't be without one now and a co2 bulb lasts for 2-3 kegs so only adds pennies onto the price of a pint and it's well worth the cost :drink:

Yeah there not bad value, the tap is the pricey part i guess and thinking about it i probably have over primed still , i was at work earlier today and i thought i used my regular spoon that i use with ales tbh i only primed them on sat so probs not up to the correct amount of co2 yet anyway didnt think tbh i was just so pleased with the results last night nice clear hoppy ale with a lovely creamy head, as for the co2 bulbs i wouldnt care if i had to use several for what the system has poured so far, maybe il have to drink the next 2 kegs really fast only time will tell;-)

Latest posts

Back