Ebay grain mills.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because it’s not crushed at a home brew shop but by an iso accredited company?

My base malt is bought in 25kg sacks milled by an ISO accredited company. My other malts are not, but then they are generally used in small quantities so unlikely to make a massive impact?

Because they use whole 25kg sacks of base malt at a time, rather than splitting it across 5 or 6 brews?

That's a good point though I haven't noticed any variability in efficiency

My base malt is bought in 25kg sacks milled by an ISO accredited company. My other malts are not, but then they are generally used in small quantities so unlikely to make a massive impact?
That's not where I thought you were going to go...

I could perhaps... maybe.... sort of..... just.... Understand an argument for buying crushed base, but a mill and whole grain for small quantity grains, because of the really really really infrequent use (and an obessesion with converting cash into pointless gadgets.. Sorry it just slipped out )

I just like crushing my own grain and prepping my own water before each brew. It’s become part of the process, at least the way I do it.

I’m not that invested in picking up a few efficiency percentages, or shaving a half hour here or there on the brewday. I just want to make great beer my way, whatever that finally evolves into. At the minute, the milling and the water add value to my brewday experience so I’ll be sticking with it for the time being.

And that's it Alastair it suits you and it is part of your process athumb.. to others it's something they need not do as they get what they want from pre-crushed grain.
if you are serious about brewing you will use a sack of pre-crushed before it becomes detrimental or affects the efficiency so what ever suits both will produce good beer in the right hands

I’m with @Alastair70 in that I like the assurance I get from crushing my own grain and varying the milling grade for darker grain additions.

There a couple of other issues to take account of. Crushed grain takes up about 40% more storage volume than whole grain - yes I know it’s counterintuitive. Whole grain malts especially for specialty grain will last longer as whole grain with greater resilience to damp conditions.

I just like crushing my own grain and prepping my own water before each brew. It’s become part of the process, at least the way I do it.

I’m not that invested in picking up a few efficiency percentages, or shaving a half hour here or there on the brewday. I just want to make great beer my way, whatever that finally evolves into. At the minute, the milling and the water add value to my brewday experience so I’ll be sticking with it for the time being.
If you're not interested in saving time, you can take my approach of using a Corona style mill with a hand crank. Definitely no time savings there!

If you're not interested in saving time, you can take my approach of using a Corona style mill with a hand crank. Definitely no time savings there!
Hand crushing 4kg of malt is a moderate workout. I was really glad when someone pointed out to me that I could remove the crank and attach a drill!

I bought a Bulldog grain mill a few years ago. When a supplier
Of crushed grain sent me a 25 kg sack. That was very fine crushed.
It blocked my mash tun and caused a stuck sparge. They we're kind enough to
Reimburse me. I then bought a 25kg bag of whole grain.
By course grinding this and mixing it with the fine crush I saved a bag of malt.

Latest posts

Back