Eco-brewing Co-operative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there as a possible idea.
With the thought of allotments, community involvement and it becoming more of a community off-grid type of affair, the idea struck me that allotments generate woody waste every year that results in bonfires - much to the annoyance of anybody who wants to be annoyed at something. Wouldn't it be better to use this waste heat for something?
At the same time the fire could be contained and it changes the name from bonfire to stove, or oven......or water boiler.
That seems more acceptable.

Looking at rocket stoves mass heaters it would be possible to make a boiler that is part of a brewing set up. The only problem I see is maintaining a temperature for the mash stage.

I am used to coal fires with a back boiler as I've had one since a kid, and I know there is a damper plate that draws the heat through a different area when needed, but can be moved as required to reduce that heat.
If I was to make a mass heater with a damper plate then it should be possible to regulate the temperature between boil and mash temperature just by turning a lever. Therefore we could produce fresh wort on site.
This could then be bought - probably by the person helping produce it, labelled as theirs, then it is up to them what they do with it.
Can this be stored for them on site while it ferments? We could then assist with them bottling, labelling - and then taking their brew home - but it is still their property, and they are not consuming or sharing it here.
I'm just wondering is this is possible, and above all, legal to do?

I'm still in the "what if" phase before council legislation beats me down to the reality of I'd be lucky to get a muddy puddle to stand in.

Sounds amazing, but even if you are just selling people the equivalent of what they have made, it gets you into legal pains. About the best you can do (I believe!) is help people make their own and charge them for your teaching time and any supplies you provided - but I could be wrong! Anything where money changes hands for alcohol basically requires tax to be paid and other rules to be followed. I know that even giving away home brew for a charity raffle or selling your homebrew at a school fair can get you into bother. But I'm no lawyer...

I agree. Maybe step back another layer and just charge pro-rata on the grains available, and a flat rate for use of equipment.
Also offer no-chill cubes to take it away in.

The main idea was to use the heat for the long boil phase, teach the method and assist in the general early phases - with no mention of alcohol at all. We are effectively brewing barley tea, for the cost of the raw materials.
The main worry was how much we can assist people in doing so, and can we keep it on site while it ferments even if we don't own it.

Back