Effect of fluctuating temperature on fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strongarm

Brewing on a wing and a prayer
Reaction score
I fancy giving a saison a go, both for something different and because when the sun starts coming out my house is going to be on the warm side for some yeasts. To get the 26-32 the saison yeasts suggest though I'm going to need to put it in the vicinity of a radiator. As such I reckon the temp is going to fluctuate a bit more than usual, so what would the effect of that be on a beer?

Can you not get your self an aquarium heater (50 watt around £10/15) and a storage container (70 litre £7 ) with a digital fish tank thermometer with probe ( £4 ) and you can brew from 18c upwards and will be steady and constant .
Yeast makes beer we make wort and yeast is a moaning , fussy git . If temps go up and down you simply won't get as good a beer as you would of .
Even though some Belgian yeast say upto 32c i wouldn't go that high , anywhere from 22c you will start to get more fruity spicey flavours from the yeast . I would recommend starting at 22c moving up to 24c in 24hrs then after another 3 days or so move temp to 26c and finsh off there but that's how i'd do it you may not wish to.

Cheers. That seems a sensible and cheap option. Those 50w heaters only £8 on Amazon, and reckon one of those big bendy buckets (Asda £3) would sit an FV and a load of heated water in nicely.

So saying explaining the need to and gaining approval for the contraption from the wife may end up being the tricky bit though, especially with a toddler about.

I've read from a number of sources that a sudden drop in temp (rather than a continuous rise) can stop Belgian yeast in it's tracks do I would work to a point where it can be held.

I'm just about to put a Saison in to a lagering period, I fermented 21° - 27° in three days then held at 27° to reach FG + 2 days to clean up. Trail jar tasted quite good.

I also did this for a saison using a 75w Hidom heater from Amazon, & bendy tub... I was trying to ramp up to 28 degrees, managed to hold 26.5 in the water bath, but the thermostat kept kicking in before it got any higher. Added a small aquarium pump to get the heated water circulating away from the element, & this did the trick :cheers:

Latest posts

Back