Effect of low temperatures on bottle carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WM7793

Reaction score
I had mistakenly not switched on the heater for the STC controlled fridge whilst been away for a few days. I bottled some beer for carbonation (1st March) and left them in the fridge. I returned today and realised that the temperature was only 9.6 degrees C.

I did not expect that a sediment would have formed in the bottles at so low a temperature.

Will the beer still have the correct carbonation?

Will the low temperature have affected the beer?

I have now switched the heater back on, will this have an effect on the beer by raising the temperature back to 19 degrees C? and then cooling again?

Please advise me on this.

Best regards,
WM7793

I would have thought it will be fine, i suppose it is only like putting your beer into a secondary FV after fermentation has finished for the sediment to settle out. I dont suppose there will be a great deal of carbonation but warming it back up will get it going :hat:

The beer will be fine but it probably won't be correctly carbonated, it'll still need a period at a warmer temp to get the yeast to make some CO2. I'd put the STC up to 21C just to wake up the yeast, I'd go for 10 days at 21C and then into the cool for conditioning

Many thanks for replies. No harm done then!

Best regards,
WM7793

Latest posts

Back