Elderflower Champagne Alternative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan J

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thank you very much for allowing me to join the forum.

I have a question about brewing elderflower champagne. I am trying a recipe used a lot where I live in rural France. Simply, you create a mix of sugared warm water, lemons, limes, white wine vinegar, elderflowers and wine yeast. You mix them and after 24 hours, remove the fruit and flowers. Wait 14 days and bottle the liquid with a touch of sugar and then after a further 14 days, it's ready. This is super-easy and quick so I was wondering if anyone has done something similar with other flowers, leaves or fruits with similar quick and easy results? Thank you, Dan

Dan, that sounds good. Do you have the recipe?

I do have some cheats for elderflower, but not heard that one.
Hi there, I've not tried it before but I'm following this:

I hope it works - I'll let you know in a month or so! As I see it, it's pretty straight forward. The elderflowers just add a distinctive flavour and have nothing to do with the fermentation so I see no reason why it shouldn't work with other things too such as dandelions and fruit?

There are quite a few elderflower wine recipies around.
Last year I brewed one with lemons & grapefruit to about 6% strength and bottle carbonated like beer. This year I will use more lemons & no grapefruit.

I may even do several different versions to taste test later.

In the UK elderflowers are just starting to bloom - at least 1 week early, as elderflower time is usually last week of may & start of June here.

As for making dandylion wine, the old traditions said to pick them on St George's day (April 23rd).
Maybe so you got the first blooms before they started to set seed - so we have missed the best time, although there are still plenty growing in my garden.

I always add campden powder to the must and leave for a day or so to kill off the wild yeast before pitching Lalvin EC1118.
Plenty of people ferment relying on wild yeast but I prefer to play it safe - more predictable and you avoid getting possible off flavours.

I'd advise taking a gravity reading at the start if you're.going to add sugar after 14 days.
Last year I let it ferment dry then carbonated with co2 in a keg which worked well. Otherwise I usually let it ferment down to around 1.010 then let the residual sugar naturally carbonate the wine but you need appropriately strong bottles to do it this way.

My elderflower wine recipe is below for comparison, similar.but I add white grape juice and use pectolase to help break down pectin and aid clarity

I made an elderflower wine over the weekend, recipe below.
Was convinced yeast had failed and all ready to pitch a fresh pack but after taking a sample it has
dropped from 1.084 to 1.038 in three days so all good - tasted very promising.
Another case of a leaky fv and no bubbling from the airlock.

3 gallon batch

4 quarts elderflowers
5 macerated lemons
approx 8 ounces raisins
2.25 pints white grape juice
6 lbs sugar
3 tsp tannin
3 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp pectolase

Lalvin EC118 rehydrated at 35c added to must at same temp

OG 1.084

Thinking of putting 10L in a minkeg at 1.010 for a sparkling wine and putting the rest in a demi
john to rack off a few times and clear before priming in PET bottles but plan may change.

Still plenty of elderflowers out so may be time for another batch after this, as familly and friends
will be able to get through this lot fairly quickly !

There are quite a few elderflower wine recipies around.
Last year I brewed one with lemons & grapefruit to about 6% strength and bottle carbonated like beer. This year I will use more lemons & no grapefruit.

I may even do several different versions to taste test later.

In the UK elderflowers are just starting to bloom - at least 1 week early, as elderflower time is usually last week of may & start of June here.

As for making dandylion wine, the old traditions said to pick them on St George's day (April 23rd).
Maybe so you got the first blooms before they started to set seed - so we have missed the best time, although there are still plenty growing in my garden.
That's very interesting - thank you. Dan

Not sure if this is the right thread. I made a delicious gooseberry champagne years ago. It had a very balanced taste.

But then again, 25 years ago, it was the closest I could aggord to champagne so what did I know lol.

Back