Elderflowers, how much is too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor

Bearded Brewer
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm planning on doing 5l TC, was supposed to be a WoW but no WGJ, anyway I got these elderflowers
83d480a864ece1cc7ebe63bcffcecd06.jpg
from my LHBC. Can someone tell me how many grams to use to get a fairly light not overpowering flavour?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing has i dont understand your question i cant say the amount, but be careful with them its a fine line between grapey aroma and a terrible cat **** stink and not nice flavor

Hi everyone. I'm planning on doing 5l TC, was supposed to be a WoW but no WGJ, anyway I got these elderflowers

You can use red grape juice instead of white, it makes a cracking wine -

Rosé wine (A forum favourite)

1 litre Red grape juice.

1 litre Apple Juice.

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

There is only one way to find out and if you only make a gallon and its not great you haven't lots to drink, i think it'll be fine.

thank you , i am old school born 1960, i dont know what turbo cider is. i make beer wine and cider to traditional methods , and very succesfully, i dont want to inject fruit juice with alcohol in the minimum time and drink it. what is wow, i make some excellent wines from sparkling , to dry and luscious sweet whites and ports , my beers are all ways conditioned and aged enough to be drunk at there best , i dont understand this, make, drink and be merry ASAP. no matter the taste and quality just drink and be ******, super market juice can maybe make a nice wine but after 4 weeks and drinking. nah i prefer to make a decent wine

what is wow, i make some excellent wines from sparkling , to dry and luscious sweet whites and ports , my beers are all ways conditioned and aged enough to be drunk at there best , i dont understand this, make, drink and be merry ASAP. no matter the taste and quality just drink and be ******, super market juice can maybe make a nice wine but after 4 weeks and drinking. nah i prefer to make a decent wine

Well i doubt this explanation will stop you looking down your nose at those of us who do like to make wine and cider from supermarket juice and who think this method makes a "decent" wine but here goes.

I don't have much in the way of storage room and less room for fermenting so when i read about this method of making wine (i was making kits at the time) i thought i would give it a go, i haven't the time or patience to go picking fruit faffing about making the wine and waiting months/years for it to age, i like what i make and so does everyone who has tried it, many of these people now make their own versions of which there are many, home brew is a hobby we make what we enjoy how we achieve that is down to personal choice, there is no right or wrong.

chippy take that chip from your shoulder, what i said if you read what i said again, is that i dont UNDERSTAND the new way some of you guys operate i maybe dont agree with alcohol or bust, but some of the text speak like wow etc i have never come across. this site is very varied from cheap cheerful and bladdered to professer pfpffer or what ever is name is talking about yeast cloning, i am a educated guy and have the words ologist after my name (wont put the previous letters because you would then trace me) but i came from a very poor working back ground, so NEVER accuse me of looking down my nose on people NEVER!

Well i may be reading this wrong but -

i dont understand this, make, drink and be merry ASAP.

Who said this?

The wine is quick because the juice is already made, no one as far as i know searches "what is the fastest wine i can make" then finds this forum and this method it just happens that this method doesn't take months.

no matter the taste and quality

You seem to assume the wines we make using this method do not taste good and we only make them to get ******, that is a big assumption, my supermarket juice wine thread has 1,817 replies and 159,326 page views and i cannot remember a single negative post about the way any of these wines tasted, having said that the original Wurzels Orange Wine is an acquired taste.

just drink and be ******,

I don't make wine just to get ****** i make it because i like experimenting with different juices, i enjoy the wine i make as do those who buy expensive bottles of wine, you get ****** if you drink enough of either!

super market juice can maybe make a nice wine but after 4 weeks and drinking. nah i prefer to make a decent wine

Supermarket juice does make a nice wine, what makes a decent wine is subjective.

All this from a simple question on Elderflowers - jeez !!

Personally - I am a new brewer. I brew from juice at the moment , may always brew from juice but I do so because it's helping me understand the principles steps and science behind the whole thing. Certainly not because I want to get pished quickly. To do that I'd simply walk up the pub [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention I add the elderflowers into hot water, maybe add to tea for your tannin.

Do you add them with your teabags then strain out before adding to the FV?

Take tea bags out, put the flowers in no need to strain. Even in bought elderflower you'll often find a few flowers in there, no harm, besides you'll probably rack twice before bottling to elimate most of them.

Latest posts

Back