Essex and Suffolk water analysis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomant

Regular.
Reaction score
I have bean adding 4 tblsp of DMS into my liquor along with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp metabisulophate while boiling it (for total 75l batch size to end up with 60l in the fermenter) and have not had any problems so far. But after reading through various water treatment articles by Aleman at al.. I got the following information from Essex and Suffolk http://www.eswater.co.uk/Waterquality.aspx which tells me my water has 115mg/l of Calcium and 287.5mg/l of Calcium Carbonate.

I also downloaded the following from the same site http://www.eswater.co.uk/_assets/files/wq/Z207.pdf
Which tells me that the mean Sodium content is 47.683mg/l, Sulphate is 75.715, Chloride is 72.875 - could not see anything for Magnesium and Hydrogen ion is measured in PH at 7.621

Using the water treatment calculator kindly provided on this site it looks like I should be adding 175ml of CRS to treat my water for this batch.

Is it that simple or do I need to test further with a kit ? - appologies if I have missed previous posts on this

Did you request analysis or get info from their site. I request a report around once a year and ask them what I want to know and have always got a good quick response. I also do a salifert test a few times a year, my last one in October was similar to the info. you have got. Is your water from Hanningfield or the reservoir near Colchester. If it helps I need to add 24mls of CRS to treat my 23lt batch.

From my experience, the PH can change almost daily. Water from town supply is treated differently depending on the weather.

I believe it's from hanningfield, the report is from the link on their website after you enter your postcode. Sounds like 175ml for my size batch might be too much

adomant said:
I believe it's from hanningfield, the report is from the link on their website after you enter your postcode. Sounds like 175ml for my size batch might be too much

Send them an e-mail stating what you need to know and tell them its for brewing, the guy who replied to me said he was a brewer himself, but had never considered water treatment.

Adding minerals seems to have been unnecessary in any case, looks like a test kit and progressive crs from 50ml may be the way forward. I'll make further enquiries from the water board and let you know if I learn anything new

Certainly a case for Murphy and son or A Salifert test kit and the Brupacks Water treatment page.

Certainly worth getting murphys to test your water. I'm one of the brewers at Brentwood Brewing Co but also brew at home, i need to send my water off to them.
At work we do an alkalinity, chloride and chlorine test every week and the changes sometimes are shocking. Sometimes the results can be +/- 150ppm on the chloride front. I wish there was an easy way out at home and have been looking at the fivestar 5.2 stabilizer but from a professional stand point, find it hard to see how this would work.

If by any chance anyone has an analysis for water around the dagenham/rainham/grays area would i be able to get it off of you?

jimw86 said:
have been looking at the fivestar 5.2 stabilizer but from a professional stand point, find it hard to see how this would work.
It doesn't! All it claims is that it gets the pH of the Mash Liquor to 5.2 . . . unfortunately in testing it only achieved a pH of 5.6 . . . and the mash pH was way off . . . There are enough people out there on the internet claiming wonderful results with it, that dissenters are lost in the noise. :(

Aleman said:
jimw86 said:
have been looking at the fivestar 5.2 stabilizer but from a professional stand point, find it hard to see how this would work.
It doesn't! All it claims is that it gets the pH of the Mash Liquor to 5.2 . . . unfortunately in testing it only achieved a pH of 5.6 . . . and the mash pH was way off . . . There are enough people out there on the internet claiming wonderful results with it, that dissenters are lost in the noise. :(
I agree, I bought some ages ago, used it once :( and then chucked it when it was out of date (WASTE OF MONEY).

BB

Must be the yank brewers that rave about it.... I can't!

Just to give you guys an example of water variations, I've just done a water test at work.

Monday's results were

Alkalinity 90mg/l
Calcium 130mg/l
Chloride 192mg/l

Today's results were

Alkalinity 220mg/l
Calcium 250mg/l
Chloride 208mg/l

Won't bother with the 5.2 then. Cheers.

Wow, thats a big change.

I don't normally get much change in my alkalinity at home, which is the only thing I test. I would have thought your water was coming out of Hanningfield as well, maybe not!

Could be from hanningfield but with our location so close to London it might be from there. Who knows. Locations probably change weekly.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Aleman said:
jimw86 said:
I agree, I bought some ages ago, used it once :( and then chucked it when it was out of date (WASTE OF MONEY).

BB

Must be the yank brewers that rave about it.... I can't!

John, can't believe you have EVER wasted money :shock:

Latest posts

Back