Euro 2024: German beer strength warning for British fans.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This will sound like a challenge to most fans :laugh8:

1711652909688.png

By Harrison Jones
BBC News

British football fans travelling to the Euros this summer have been warned that beer in Germany can be stronger than pints at home.

England and Scotland supporters were told they could be barred from grounds if they have too many steins.

The Foreign Office issued the official advice ahead of the men's football tournament in June and July.

"Beer can be stronger than in the UK, so drink responsibly, know your limits and respect local laws," it said.

"You may not be let into the stadium if you drink too much."

Hundreds of thousands of British fans are expected to travel to the tournament, which will be held across 10 German cities.

The average strength of lager and ale in the UK is around 4.4%, according to UK charity Drinkaware. Beers in Germany, meanwhile, can often be between 4.7% and 5.4%.

Sampling local beer 'in moderation'

Paul Goodwin, co-founder of the Scottish Football Supporters Association, told the BBC he had to do a "double take" on the date of the Foreign Office advice, to make sure it was not an early April Fools' story.

"There are of course many things that Scotland fans need to be warned about but we don't really think this is one of them", he said.

"The Tartan Army have watched Scotland all over the world and enjoyed sampling the culture and, of course, the local beer sensibly and in moderation - win, lose or draw."

Scotland face Germany in the opening match of the tournament, on 14 June in Munich.

England kick off against Serbia two days later in Gelsenkirchen.

Neither Wales nor Northern Ireland qualified.

The average strength of lager and ale in the UK is around 4.4%, according to UK charity Drinkaware. Beers in Germany, meanwhile, can often be between 4.7% and 5.4%.
....and are served in 500ml glasses.

500ml of 5% beer has the same alcohol as an imperial pint of 4.4%... (never mind the fact that, gasp, premium lager is available in the UK....)

You also get a continental pour with more froth and less beer in the 500ml servings too.
No trading standards to make sure you get a full measure so that 5% of a questionable 500ml is even less than the equivalent 4.4% NB has intimated at

May i remind the Jerrys, as a pilot i had just landed at Munich for the first time and missed my gate, air traffic control asked if it was my first time there i said no twice in 1944 but didn't land athumb..
Not so many around now that could come back with that knockout reply. Respect! 👏

Also, many happy returns on your 100th birthday. 😉

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back