Extra Strong Pilsner ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
Its been a long, long time since I have visited this site. Its good to see that its still here !!

Its about 10 years since I last used a kit. The last one I made was a two can (toucan) 10% Russian Imperial Stout type drink with coffee.

I don't drink much at all anymore, but I do enjoy a real strong lager every now and then. Have just bought a couple of the Muntons Connoisseurs Pilsner kits and plan to use both of them in a 23L ferment with a kilo of light spray malt and added sugar to make a 9.2% brew. Have also bought a Saflager S189 yeast to ferment it out with.

As I haven't used a kit in a long time, I have a couple of questions

These kits are supposed to have a FG of 1008. If I used both cans in the brew, would the FG be around 1016.

Would a two can brew leave me with a drink that is over hopped, or will the strength of the brew compensate for it.

Look forward to any input on this one.

Cheers

Its been a long, long time since I have visited this site. Its good to see that its still here !!

Its about 10 years since I last used a kit. The last one I made was a two can (toucan) 10% Russian Imperial Stout type drink with coffee.

I don't drink much at all anymore, but I do enjoy a real strong lager every now and then. Have just bought a couple of the Muntons Connoisseurs Pilsner kits and plan to use both of them in a 23L ferment with a kilo of light spray malt and added sugar to make a 9.2% brew. Have also bought a Saflager S189 yeast to ferment it out with.

These kits are supposed to have a FG of 1008. If I used both cans in the brew, would the FG be around 1016.

Would a two can brew leave me with a drink that is over hopped, or will the strength of the brew compensate for it.

Cheers
I hope you bought about 6 packs of yeast.

For normal strength lagers you need to pitch lots of yeast, one pack will not do for a 23l brew length.

For a very very strong lager you needs to pitch loads and loads of yeast.

OK.

Would you kindly expand on your answer please
I pitch 3 sachets for a lager. You will need enough cells to brew that strength and not stress the yeast. So looking at 5 or 6 sachets.

Also just because you add two kits doesn't mean you get 1.016. That depends on the yeast. Yes it will be more bitter but should be OK.

Thank you for the reply, its appreciated.

I did buy a Fermentis Saflager S189 yeast to go with it. This yeast tolerates brews from 9/11% abv. Was planning on the lower alcohol end of the scale.

Could always add the two generic yeasts that came with the kit ??

Cheers
If you put two cans into the same volume, I think you can expect to have a higher FG fo the simple reason that there will be twie as much unfermenable sugars left. The same with the bitterness- if one can will give you x IBUs then two cans should give you 2x IBUs. The extent to which the bitterness is balanced by the higher FG, will be a matter of experiment. Listening to the above, you'll end up paying more for the yeast than you do for the kits. I've never used more than a single sachet, but I tend to brew a small batch and then toss the big batch onto the cake. Six sachets of yeast in a single brew is ridiculous in my opinion.

Thank you for the reply, its appreciated.

I did buy a Fermentis Saflager S189 yeast to go with it. This yeast tolerates brews from 9/11% abv. Was planning on the lower alcohol end of the scale.

Could always add the two generic yeasts that came with the kit ??
If you are brewing it at traditional lager temps then you will need more yeast. The supplied yeast may not be able cope with the lower temps

Back