Falconer's Flight IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
It seems like an age since the last brew, so I wanted to get another on this weekend. With SWMBO not working today, I decided to keep the peace and do an overnight mash to save a bit of time. I lost nearly 20c overnight, so if I try this again I will do it as late as possible (this one was about 7pm) and insulate the pot better (just used two towels). I've since read that once you get below 50c, bacteria can grow and cause sour/off flavours, but hopefully will be ok.

It's currently boiling away nicely and I should be done by 10.30ish and leaves plenty of time to spend in the sun!

I had some pilsner malt to use up that I'd originally bought for a Saison, but didn't fancy doing it just yet. Not sure how it will work out in an IPA, but I'll put some DME in anyway, so I figured it will be ok.

90min Boil
20ltr Batch
IBU 67
Target OG 1055

2500g Pilsner Malt
1000g Light DME
500g Dextrose
250g Carahell

20g Columbus 60min
20g Falconers Flight 20min
30g Falconers Flight 10min
30g Falconers Flight 5min
120g Falconers Flight 0min
100g Falconers Flight 7 day dry hop

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

Rehydrate 20g Mangrove Jacks Workhorse and pitch at 20c.

This will do nicely to replace my Mosaic IPA which has nearly disappeared!

Yeah, you need to use loads of towels and blankets to overnight mash. I did one last night and only lost 6.4C over about 10 hours (the fact it's quite warm in my flat helps too I think). I also use space blankets too. Don't know if they help but they can't do any harm. One thing I learned is to fold a small towel and place it on top of the pot too. I 've found this really maintain your temps, heat rising and all that. Heres how I insulate my pot

1) wrap pot in a space blanket
2) warp pot with three bathroom towels
3) Fold a small towel and place on top of everything
4) wrap everything in another space blanket
5) finally wrap everything in a normal blanket

Last edited:
Cheers MyQul, you sound like you've got it covered! One question though, what is a space blanket?! I wasn't overly efficient in the end either, in fact I only hit 1050.

Thank you. Will invest in a couple of those. I quite liked splitting the brew day, so may do an overnight mash more often.

Now I don't do the AG brewing so please let me know if this is a silly question but couldn't you buy a second hand cheap sleeping bag and cut it down or fold it back on itself so it fits over the pot like the tea caddy's of old as the first layer of your insulation for your overnight mash? They're on Ebay for £3 odd.

Now I don't do the AG brewing so please let me know if this is a silly question but couldn't you buy a second hand cheap sleeping bag and cut it down or fold it back on itself so it fits over the pot like the tea caddy's of old as the first layer of your insulation for your overnight mash? They're on Ebay for £3 odd.

Not a silly Q, in fact I've seen piccy's of people using sleeping bags in this way to insulate their pots

Down to 1008 today, yeast has certainly done it's job quickly! Tastes nice and hoppy and not eye wateringly bitter either. Looking forward to tucking into these in a month or so.

Bottled this today, dry and hoppy and no evidence of dodgy mashing!

Going to do an English beer next I think, either an ESB or EKG hoppy pale. Unfortunately a holiday is going to interrupt my brewing, so not for a few weeks.

In the process of trying the first one and it's started to get good already. It's surprising how quickly grain/dme partial mashes are ready to drink. Tried one of my Festival partial mash IPA earlier and it's still unpleasant and tastes like kit beer and it's been bottled a month.

Back