False bottom/element guard for BIAB in an old Burco F33L - advice please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve just acquired an old Burco boiler with an exposed element that I plan to do AG in a brew bag. Any advice on a false bottom to keep the bag from melting onto the element if I need to switch it on to keep the mash temperature correct and when I raise the temp for mash out?
I was thinking of one of these pizza trays, raised up to clear the element with some stainless steel bolts. I would remove it before starting the boil. I think they are aluminium rather than carbon steel.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pizza-Tr...-/224453431062?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
thanks!

Pizza tray sounds good. I use a frying-pan splash guard with the handle cut off (fits perfectly in my Klarstein) Its a tight enough fit and the mesh fine enough that I don't need to use a bag for mashing. Simply drain the wort into an FV - fly sparge - empty spent grain from Klarstein - pour wort back in and carry on with the boil.

If you can get a cake stand this will give you height clearance plus a substantial rest for the grain bag without interfering and trapping the heat as you'll find that if you close to the element you will see big bubbles/burps of heated water.
Screenshot_20210513-173530.png

If you can get a cake stand this will give you height clearance plus a substantial rest for the grain bag without interfering and trapping the heat as you'll find that if you close to the element you will see big bubbles/burps of heated water.
View attachment 47059
Try searching STEAMER RACK on Amazon not metal cake stand 👍🏼

Latest posts

Back