DIY BIAB Setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakey.goodman

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I'm looking for some advice on my DIY BIAB setup. I've been using for a little while now, and getting 80-85% efficiency (fine crushing malt), so generally happy with it. I'm using recirc and a PID to control temp (i'm also experimenting with CraftBeerPi for unnecessarily curiosity, hence the 3-way selector switches, I can switch between manual and 'auto').

Here is the complete set-up, although I have made some improvements since this photo was taken (bigger recirc pipe, camlock connectors etc)

1675185761806.jpeg

The false bottom is made out of a 14" aluminium pizza tray, which is getting quite manky now, and possible to source of 'metallic' taste we are finding in the beer (I'm using corny kegs to dispense).

I have been looking at mesh baskets to replace both the false bottom and bag (Beer Wine House Filter Basket Strainer,Brewing Strainer,Wine Beer Dry | eBay), but the length of the legs won't clear the element.

1675185701693.png
1675185207224.jpeg

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on:

1a. Is the basket good, or just heavy/messy/pain to clean/overkill?
1b. Has anyone extended the legs? I was thinking I could drill holes in the feet and extend with stainless bolts (already being used on the ali tray)
2. Assuming the basket is a waste of time, has anyone ever extended the grandfather false bottom (Brewzilla/ Grainfather False Bottom / Camlock Kit)

Either way I go, would be nice to get allow for the internals to be used in a stainless upgrade in the future (probably a 70l stainless pot), as had always planned once I've proved the concept (although I have probably brewed over 25 or so in this, so no rush).

Thanks all!

Hi @jakey.goodman . Nice set up you’ve got there. Rather than spend your cash on a basket I’d advise you to invest in a better pump. I used the same pump as you when I started recirculating but after having a good look at the inerds decided they are incredibly difficult to clean. They are after all designed to circulate water in solar heating systems (non food application). I use a bag and after brew day it goes in the washing machine after a rinse and job done.

Try for a second hand stainless boiler, all that boiling water in a plastic bucket frightens me!

I used one of those pumps for years and they do have their limitations but I found backflushing it with water from the tap worked. In several years of Brewing I never had a contamination I could trace to the pump.

Aamcle

Ps. Do both if you can :)

Back