Fasting to reset the immune system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.. do you find veganism helps on the anti-inflammatory too?

I answered this a bit further up the thread and stated that I wasn't sure whether veganism helps on the anti-inflammatory front and just said that I found veganism helps with 'spinning' on my bike.

Since I wrote that, I've discovered that I have a slight intolerance to grains and they cause me inflammation. Whilst thinking about an alternative to grains I decided upon potatoes. The past week or so I've been doing quite a bit of reading about potatoes and came across something/a book called, 'the potato hack'. Predominately it's an 'intervention' to lose weight but the book goes deep into the science of the benefits of eating potatoes. One of the benefits of potatoes is that they have large amounts of anti-inflammatory compounds.

The basic 'potato hack' is you eat nothing but plain potatoes (although you can have herbs and spices. I added salt, pepper and vinegar to my baked spuds) for 3-5 days. So I decided to try it out. I can definitely confirm that potatoes really lower inflammation in the body and the general anti-inflammatory properties of a vegan diet is/was the reason for being able to spin for long periods of time on my bike without my thighs filling up with lactic acid and feeling like their going to explode. As as side benefit, although I didnt try it out for weight loss but for the anti-inflammatory benefits, I've dropped 1kg since last week when I started the 'hack'

Just stumbled across the thread so thought I'd join the discussion. I have tried fasting and didn't really find it that difficult. As a regular runner, cyclist and gym goer (back in the days when you could), however, I did find I was lacking energy and couldn't perform as well when wanting to lift weights or cover any long distances. It could be that I didn't give it long enough I guess, but I just didn't enjoy the thought of not having enough fuel in me to work at the standard I was used to. Personally, I think eating well is the most important thing - eat plant based, get some protein and avoid white carbs.

Just stumbled across the thread so thought I'd join the discussion. I have tried fasting and didn't really find it that difficult. As a regular runner, cyclist and gym goer (back in the days when you could), however, I did find I was lacking energy and couldn't perform as well when wanting to lift weights or cover any long distances. It could be that I didn't give it long enough I guess, but I just didn't enjoy the thought of not having enough fuel in me to work at the standard I was used to. Personally, I think eating well is the most important thing - eat plant based, get some protein and avoid white carbs.

Lifting whilst fasted can be difficult (I've read - I dont lift so have no experience of that) but endurance based activites are easy to do whilst fasted as long as you've take in enough electrolytes. Last summer I cycled all day on the hottest day of the year, completely fasted. I made sure I was regularly drinking water and taking on board salt and was fine.
I agree that what you eat is the most important thing but why would you say avoid white carbs? Until today I've been eating nothing but potatoes for three days and felt great (I wasn't really intermittent fasting during that time but I didnt eat breakfast)

I just find that since I've switched (a few years ago) to wholemeal bread, pasta, couscous etc. I don't feel hungry and I have more energy. I eat potatoes still, although I do find I can often feel hungry again a couple of hours later. Protein also helps.

Regarding energy levels when fasting, I do most of my exercise early morning and find that if I go out for a run without eating, I just can't maintain a decent speed over any distance and feel too drained afterwards to feel that it's done me any good.

Latest posts

Back