Federation Special Ale!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Along time ago, when Noah was still wringing his socks out, I was in Newcastle and discovered FedSpecial.
It was brewed for the Federation of Working Men's Clubs, I live at the other side of the country now and I don't even know if it's still brewed, so I was wondering if there is a recipe available for it?

Atb. Aamcle

Fed Special, an old favourite of mine, but sadly no longer available. I have probably drunk more of this beer than any other. A good easy drinking session beer with a big frothy head.
I’m just getting into brewing at home and was given a book at the weekend called ‘Brew Your Own Ale at Home’ (1993), it has a suggested recipe, but I’m not knowledgeable on all the ingredients as I’ve just been doing 1 gallon all grains on the cooker so far. But I’m tempted now to do a gallon of Fed Special Ale, why not!
Pale Malt 75%
Flaked Maize 10%
Maltose Syrup 15%
Target and Challenger at start of boil
Brambling Cross for last 10 mins
After a google search I see I can get all the hops easy enough in 100g bags. I have some Maris Otter malt which should do. Flaked Maize isn’t something I’m familiar with, but is readily available.
Maltose Syrup…….not sure where to get this, will golden syrup do? Will it result in a significantly different taste?
Has anyone tried to make Fed Special and got any tips? Thanks.

I have now made this beer and it is really good. The head on my version is not quite as frothy as the real thing, but it tastes very similar.
:)

Latest posts

Back