Fermentation fridge/freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm investigating a slimline fridge/freezer that's just come up on Freecycle and I think the internal dimensions will fit an FV, the only dimension I'm not sure about is the depth as I don't know how much would be lost from the door closing.

Anyway, my point is, with this being a fridge freezer, is it possible to convert to a fermentation fridge and leave the freezer section as it is for storing hops etc? It would be a bit of a waste to disable the freezer section altogether.

Your freezer will run at a warmer temp. But it will still be below freezing. Probs -2 to -8 degrees C

Estimate to take off 5 inches for door intrusion

Looks like I have 3 inches spare for the depth. Very tempting. I guess hops will still keep fairly well at those temperatures, and obviously it would be ok for ice etc.

I've just checked my own fridge freezer, and I think the FV would likely fit, but I've decided to pass it up as I really need to sort out my storage issues first. I can't have a fridge freezer hanging around the house waiting for a home.

Oh well, cheers for your help anyway.

Sorry I did not get back to you. I got in and found the dog had decided to dismantle the kitchen bin.

I know the shelves in the door of mine look like they are fixed in but if you carefully fold back the seals there are screws to take the whole panel off if that's any use

Cheers, that's handy to know for when I have the space available for a ferm fridge. It's the next thing I need to achieve on my path to supreme beers! Then it's temperature controlled mash, sparging and strike water, then it's a conditioning fridge, then a kegerator, then...............

Latest posts

Back