Fermentation going as it should?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bille

Reaction score
Hi brewers, I'm new here and English is not my first language, so sorry in advance for any mistakes!
I have little experience with brewing, so any advice would be highly appreciated :)

5 days ago I made 30L of elderflower champagne, but I think the fermentation is going too slow.
The process if making the champagne ( if anybody needs more info ) :
  1. Boil elderflower, lemon, sugar, white wine vinegar with 10L water
  2. Add water/sugar mixture until the hydrometer gave a gravity reading of about 1.050
  3. Seal fermentation vessel and wait till next morning
  4. Measure gravity 1.062 as OG
  5. Add Kitzinger champagne yeast
At the end of the day when the yeast was added, I noticed bubbles in the yeast lock.
The fermentation vessel is in a room with a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius / 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
I measured the gravity at day 3, and it was down to 1.052.
The gravity at day 4 was 1.050 and day 5 also measured 1.050.
There have been stabile bobbles on average every 25 second since day one after adding yeast, ranging from 17 to 32 seconds between.

I am worried about the sugar levels not dropping fast enough.
I can definitely taste and smell that something good is going on, and the brew looks fresh on the top.
I have not yet removed the elderflowers, or in any way filtrated the brew.

All questions and tips are very welcome.
Thank you in advance!

Have made a few elderflower champagnes.
Would suggest next time not boiling the elderflower as you will boil off lots of the lovely aroma.
Just put the elderflower after washing in the fermenter, and your ingredients. Pour on a couple of litres of boiling water and then top up with water to whatever volume you want and add sugar syrup (account for that in your volume ).
Test temperature after a really good stir, if 24 C or less throw in the champagne yeast. Measure gravity that's your starter.

ADD yeast nutrient for wine a double dose as for fruit wine instructions on packet.
Lid and airlock, keep between 20 - 24 celsius, each day using sterilised spoon poke the elderflower below the surface, I might try a loose bag and weighs next time to avoid this issue. But it's fairly time honored way the poke down.

Fermentation could take a couple of weeks.

In answer to your issue of perhaps stopped I would get some wine nutrient and add it, if not Fermentation will be slow but should get there, don't panic.

My first go I used Kveik yeast and that basically refused to work without daily feeding and in the end I had to add some champagne yeast but it finished great.

Have made a few elderflower champagnes.
Would suggest next time not boiling the elderflower as you will boil off lots of the lovely aroma.
Just put the elderflower after washing in the fermenter, and your ingredients. Pour on a couple of litres of boiling water and then top up with water to whatever volume you want and add sugar syrup (account for that in your volume ).
Test temperature after a really good stir, if 24 C or less throw in the champagne yeast. Measure gravity that's your starter.

ADD yeast nutrient for wine a double dose as for fruit wine instructions on packet.
Lid and airlock, keep between 20 - 24 celsius, each day using sterilised spoon poke the elderflower below the surface, I might try a loose bag and weighs next time to avoid this issue. But it's fairly time honored way the poke down.

Fermentation could take a couple of weeks.

In answer to your issue of perhaps stopped I would get some wine nutrient and add it, if not Fermentation will be slow but should get there, don't panic.

My first go I used Kveik yeast and that basically refused to work without daily feeding and in the end I had to add some champagne yeast but it finished great.
Thank you for all of the advice, I will definitely try just pouring boiling water over next time.
The plan with the weighted down bag also sounds interesting :)
Do you keep the elderflowers in the fermenter for the entire fermentation period?
Do you have any recommendations when it comes to brand of wine nutrition?

Yes I keep the elderflowers in until the gravity is stable for 3 days, then I siphoned the wine into a secondary fermenter or you could bottle. I used a secondary fermenter and some wine finings then bottled it about a week later with some sugar syrup in each bottle.
I used the wine nutrient that was at the home brew shop.
I am a more experienced beer brewer than wine or elderflower fizz maker.

Back