Fermentation in barrel & C02

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaizan

Reaction score
I've just completed my first hombrew kit for quite a few years.

Could someone remind me how long should it take after siphoning the beer into the barrel for some pressure to build up ?

I was rather belatedly thinking I should not assume the valve works OK after all these years. So to check this, I released the cap 12 hours after barrelling to see if I could hear any gas escaping & did not. I primed with 30g of sugar.

Secondly, my CO2 bottle is empty and it seems the "Midget Widget" system is discontinued. What is optimum these days for someone who might do between 2 & 4 brews per year ?
I notice solutions with little CO2 cylinders, but is there any control on CO2 with these ? My midget widget had a little valve, so I could shut it off after a couple of seconds.

I don't use any Co2 bulbs, prime ar rate of approx 100gm per 5 gallon barrel.
Usually pressure is building after a day or so. My tops are old boots versions and only have a pressure release valve, you can check by giving it a little press.
If you drink the barrel slowly it will re pressurise itself.

Thank you.
From what I recall, natural pressure used to last until I was down to the last 20~30% of the barrel. Then it was a choice between letting air in or pressurizing with CO2. Only CO2 stopped the beer going off.

The CO2 system I have used in the past was a midget widget, rather like this (no longer available), except it had a fitting for an S30 valve on the end. NEW Midget Widget World Home Brew CO2 Gas Barrel Injection System Starter Kit : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

I quite liked this, as it gives control AND I can still fit on the barrel if putting in a half height fridge to keep the temperature down to ~14C.
As far as I can tell refills are no longer via reputable businesses, available unless I take a risk with one of the ebay sellers offering "food grade " CO2 refills.
Anything where I have to fit a cylinder directly on top of the barrel would be too tall for the fridge.

Is there some current equivalent to the Midget Widget ? ie a nice compromise between little CO2 canisters and over complex systems. I haven't seen anything at the same kind of level via google.

Latest posts

Back