Fermentation Technologies Orange Brandy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmark

Regular.
Reaction score
At last completed. Started 3rd July today 7th August so not that far over the 3 weeks stated on the instructions. And I tend always to leave it a little longer than required. The results are good I can't dispute that.

As with all the high Alcohol it does have quite a few stages, basic idea is make the alcohol, remove any flavour then add the flavour required. It was an out of date kit I considered the supplied yeast was likely past it, it did not froth up like most yeasts when added to water, so added a little yeast from a Prohibition kit, not really sure which in the end did the work.

The Package E (finings) did not seem to devolve at all, but it did the job, and one of the two Packages F (glucose) was solid had to break up with a hammer, how much of this was due to being out of date I don't know.

Slightly lower quantity than the Prohibition kits, so would fit into all of my demijohns, the Prohibition kits need 4.7 litre and some demijohns are not that big.

It claims 40° proof alcohol so between 20% and 23% ABV depending which "proof" they use. However no real way to measure as sugar added in stages. It requires some converting for Canadian measures to UK so there is some latitude as to the exact quantities added. So can't be sure exactly what the final ABV is.

However taste wise it is really good and seems well worth the effort. The kit cost £10 it was sold cheap because out of date, I would say nothing between this kit and the Prohibition kits. End results about the same.

Done two Orange Liquors now hard to say which was best, not much in it either way. Both turned out well, but I read where other have had problems. I think swirling regular when at charcoal stage is important?

Done two Orange Liquors now hard to say which was best, not much in it either way. Both turned out well, but I read where other have had problems. I think swirling regular when at charcoal stage is important?
What equipment did you need ?

I used two demijohns although you could use one and large pan, not sure about using plastic as it does state use glass bottles to store. I also used a syphon tube with a sediment catcher, and a jug with calibrations on it. No point in having a hydrometer as can't take start reading. So equipment was at a minimum. I did ferment inside the freezer compartment of a fridge/freezer with a temperature controller holding the temperature to 18.5 ~ 20 degrees C but this was not really required, it was there so used, but could just as easy have been done in the house.

The Prohibition kits warn as you go over 20 degrees the ABV reduces, no such warning with Fermentation Technologies kit, the yeast supplied was a Wine Yeast EC-1118 Saccharomyces cerevisiae (ex-bayanus) GMO- and Gluten-free 5 g (0.176 oz) two packs which the data sheet says is not really designed for such a high ABV. I found a data sheet which seems to show this yeast is best around 21 degrees, but it was part in French so not so easy for me to work out exactly.

However I have to say both makes have worked well. But a lot more labour intensive than beer kit brewing. Ups nearly forgot a kitchen scales to measure the sugar with.

Latest posts

Back