Fermentation temp too low...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After dodging COVID for two years I finally got hit with it <24h after pitching a brew.

So I ended up being almost completely out of action for two weeks: not a great pile of fun. Mostly over it now thank goodness.
One way and another after pitching it at 22ºc (OG 1.046 bitter, Lalbrew 'London' yeast) it's just been just sitting unattended in the garage for 14 days at about 11ºc.

Finally got in there to check it yesterday. Doesn't seem to have come to any particular harm... it's down to 1.020.
It's still very cloudy, which I take to be a good thing: still plenty of yeast in suspension.
I'm slowly bringing it up to 20ºc and I can't really see why activity won't re-start (although I do have more yeast on hand to re-pitch it if needed).

Any views on flavour or other consequences? I'm guessing everything will have just slowed right down...

Fermenting cooler will generally mean a cleaner fermentation (like lager) but the temperature change will encourage some ester production as long as you aren't *too* gentle with the temperature rise! London isn't the most characterful of yeasts in the first place though.

I'd give it a gentle stir just to rouse the yeast to make sure all the good cells are in suspension.

Sympathies on the Covid, hope you can still smell.

Fermenting cooler will generally mean a cleaner fermentation (like lager) but the temperature change will encourage some ester production as long as you aren't *too* gentle with the temperature rise! London isn't the most characterful of yeasts in the first place though.

I'd give it a gentle stir just to rouse the yeast to make sure all the good cells are in suspension.

Sympathies on the Covid, hope you can still smell.
Thanks @Northern_Brewer ... the COVID wasn't a lot of fun, but mostly out of it now and the rest of the family assures me that I do still smell wink...

I've been bringing the temp up quite gently over the past few days; and today I noticed the beer temp seems to have slightly overtaken the air temp in the cabinet. Hopefully a sign of metabolic activity...

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 17.16.10.png

Latest posts

Back