Fermented orange juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an opened carton of orange juice which started fermenting in the fridge. Out of interest I let it ferment out. It tasted unpleasant. The only acid in orange juice is citric, which tends to get consumed during fermentation along with the sugar. With these 2 elements removed, the result on its own is not good. You would have to put back some acid and sugar.

I had an opened carton of orange juice which started fermenting in the fridge. Out of interest I let it ferment out. It tasted unpleasant. The only acid in orange juice is citric, which tends to get consumed during fermentation along with the sugar. With these 2 elements removed, the result on its own is not good. You would have to put back some acid and sugar.

I was going to add sugar and malic acid. I've found adding malic acid to my TC's make "mature" quicker. That is lose the acidic taste they have sooner.

Basically I was going to use the same ingredients as when I brewed Grapefruit juice.

Malic acid is 'right' for cider, but when adding acid to wine, I prefer tartaric. However, when added to white wine, some of this gets precipitated as tartrate crystals when chilled. Citric acid would be more appropriate for orange, and is a lot cheaper.

Back