fermenting in a cold garage with an inspection lamp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
setup up my fermenting box in the garage (swmbo though it the proper place, seems the kitchen isnt good enough for my fermenting box lol) attached my brew belt via the stc1000 switched on and nothing, dragged out an inspection lamp dropped it into the corner and then put the sensor 2/3 down the box on the opposite side behind the fv, plugged the light into the stc1000 box and voila!
the question is, should the temp sensor be attached to the side of the fv as i have done before when using the belt, or leave it attached 2/3 down inside the fermenting box, reasoning that the fv will be in a controlled 21 deg temp controlled box with the light.
im of the opinion that the sensor attached to the inside of the box 2/3 down will give a better overall temp of the inside of the box therefore the fv will be in the optimum enviroment using the light.
its keeping temp spot on when the lid is on.

garage is approx 10-11 deg c and the inside of the box is 21 deg c

PHOTO_20171106_173004.jpg

PHOTO_20171106_173017.jpg

PHOTO_20171106_173021.jpg

Either way will work but you'll have better control having it stuck to the FV with some insulation.

It might be worth wrapping the bulb in tin foil or similar to stop any light affecting the beer. The plastic will let some through [emoji106]

You will achieve much better heat transfer from air to FV and therefore better temperature control if you can create an airflow. A computer fan or similar would be fine I would have thought, or something similar to what folks put in brewfridges.

The sensor should be attached to the FV preferably with something that has insulating properties.
Also I would not be 100% happy having a bright light so close to the FV.
I personally don't think you need anything circulating the air inside the box. Temperature changes inside the box and the FV will cause some circulation.

I personally don't think you need anything circulating the air inside the box. Temperature changes inside the box and the FV will cause some circulation.
Forced circulation is always better than natural circulation where heat transfer is concerned, whatever the fluid. Especially since in this case you want to effectively and as uniformly as practicable distribute the heat from the 'bright light'.

The sensor should be attached to the FV preferably with something that has insulating properties.
I agree about the bright light being so close to the FV.
When I built my brewfridge, a used a tubular heater connected to the Inkbird and an LED striplight connected through a microswitch that triggers when the door opens.

Latest posts

Back