Festive Xmas Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RioSteel

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

This is my first proper post on here.

Been making my own alcohol for about a year.

First thing I tried was a cider in a 2 ltr pop bottle with apple juice and bread yeast with a ballon with a pin prick in the top. It worked, well it contained alcohol even though it tasted very bready, and as a result I classed it as a success. I knew nothing of sterilisation, bottling etc. I didn't drink much but I caught the bug ( brewing bug ) so to speak.

The only way from there was up ( I guess I'd find it almost impossible to go down ). I went to my local brew shop in Kirkstall, Leeds and a very helpful bloke sold me exactly what I needed to make a cider from a kit. It was black rock and I thoroughly enjoyed making and drinking it. I've been having fun making a few gallons of WOW variants, Tesco cherries and berries cordial has just been racked and it tastes beautiful when back sweetened A LOT. I tried my first beer kit and that was ok. But it seems due to my unorthodox induction into home brewing that I've a soft spot for cider.

I've just set brewing my first attempt at a Festive cider:

Ingredients:

5 ltrs of Morrisons apple juice from concentrate
2 jars of smart price apple sauce
1 tsp cider yeast ( I can't remember who's brand and I've thrown the packet sorry )
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp citric acid
1 mug of 2 bag strong black tea
2 cinnamon sticks broken in half
4 cloves
1 whole nutmeg broken with a rolling pin into small chunks

Put one carton of apple juice into a pan with the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
I heated slowly so not to burn any sugar. When slowly starting to boil add both jars of apple sauce. Bring to rolling boil for 1 minute. I read this should get rid of preservatives in the apple sauce. I tasted this and it was a strong mulled cider taste. I didn't want it too strong in case it ruined it and initially used only half the amounts of spice but felt it needed more.

Leave to cool

When tepid add to your clean demi john.

Top up with mug of black tea and 3 more ltrs of apple juice.

This took the total volume to approx 4 1/2 litres.

I took a reading from the hydrometer and it was 1.050 at 33c.

From making turbo cider before I've left it at 4 1/2 litres till it calms down a bit then will top up with more apple juice to 5 litres.

I added the yeast, nutrient and citric acid. I should of waited till it was cooler I guess but had to get back to work, I'd taken a long lunch hour doing this.

I've been wanting to do this for Christmas and think I've got enough time to get it bottled and let it sit in the cellar for a bit.

Has anyone else done a festive cider?

What spices and how much did you use?

Is there any point to adding citric acid without knowing how acidic it is already?

Can you add too much citric acid? ( my wife likes sharp crisp alcohol and I had it for some WOW I made )

This has turned into a bit of an epic post I'm afraid.

I'll post some results but any ideas input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rio

be careful with the clove as iv read on here that it can be over powering and takes a long time to fade.
iv got an xmas cider in bottles but went from cinnamon, ginger and whole allspice berries (just lightly cracked)

Thanks for the clove advice.

I removed the spices from the brew once boiled up so hopefully get away with it. Do you think I could keep them in?

Yeh, you could keep them in, (except the cloves)
Fermentation drives off a lot of stuff, the spicing may not survive it.
Since you don't need it til xmas, have a taste when the ferment is done and if it needs it, put some spices in while you leave it to mature in bulk.
Maybe steal a taste every couple of weeks, take the spices out and bottle when it's how you like it

Yes sorry I left me spices in for a month and the flavour was just there not over the top. I might sample a bottle as in been in the bottle for 6 weeks or so

Latest posts

Back