Filtering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil B

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to brewing and have just started a kit wine. My question is apart form the pumped or vinbright filters are there other methods?

A mate who has done his first batch said he used filter papers in a funnel and dripped the wine though it slow but cheap.

On reading into this would this air the wine as the other types of filters are enclosed?

Or doesn't it matter?

Regards Phil. :hmm:

I believe the filter papers sold for wine are different to those for coffee and that coffee ones clog. But I may be mis-remembering something I half read.

Use finings and give your wine proper time to clear.

Filtration shouldn't ever be necessary. It isn't a substitute for patience or good technique and it isn't a shortcut.

If you get into wine making in a serious way, then filtration can be an optional extra stage to polish your wines and take them from bright to starbright. I usually polish my whites and pale rosés but never darker pinks or reds.

Using unsuitable paper filters can cause off flavours while running the risk of oxydisation due to prolonged exposure to air. The Harris filter is quite expensive to run as the pads cost £8 for 6. It's no substitute for finings and the appropriate use of pectolase. However, as I have just discovered, it can remove stubborn hazes which finings failed to do.

tonyhibbett said:
The Harris filter is quite expensive to run as the pads cost £8 for 6.
Which is why I stocked up with a few packs from Wilkinson's last week at £4 :thumb:

Not such a bargain in my case as my LHBS is Harris Homebrew in Gornal, near Dudley, where the shelf price is £4.50.

Even so, I don't use mine unless I'm planning to get at least 5 gallons through one pad.

Hi thanks for the responses.

The filter paper he used was from the home brew shop, 10" dia folded and placed in a funnel. Then the wine dripped into the funnel and filtered though into another container.

I thought because all the other types of filters I have seen are enclosed was to keep the air out?

Will wait to see what the finnings and racking does then decide if filtering is needed.

I too picked up a half price pack from Wilco. It took 3 pads to clear up a gallon of strangely cloudy rhubarb wine. It was worth the expense to get the satisfaction of solving a challenging problem and to see the wine brilliantly clear. In this case, filtering removed loads of stuff, including colour and flavour, but the result was worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back