Finings in a closed fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking into finings and read that after preparing and adding the finings solution to the beer a "gentle stir" is required to disperse it. Does anybody have a way of doing this without lifting the lid of the fermenter?

Managing to confuse myself here. After further reading, I’m wondering if it would be better to add finings to my pressure barrel when I transfer and prime with sugar solution. Will the finings interfere with carbonation?

Sorry. I have never used finings so I don't know how they work !

Attachments

• IMG_20231201_200857.jpg
    IMG_20231201_200857.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
Managing to confuse myself here. After further reading, I’m wondering if it would be better to add finings to my pressure barrel when I transfer and prime with sugar solution. Will the finings interfere with carbonation?
Many of us add gelatine to the keg to brighten the beer and there’s no issue force carbonating.

I can’t advise on the level of impact on secondary fermentation but you could try and fall back on forced carbonation if there is a serious impact - then you can tell us! 😉

Many of us add gelatine to the keg to brighten the beer and there’s no issue force carbonating.

I can’t advise on the level of impact on secondary fermentation but you could try and fall back on forced carbonation if there is a serious impact - then you can tell us! 😉
You've given me an idea :?:ashock1. I could add the finings to the pressure barrel through the beer out post after carbonation and at the start of conditioning? How about this for a (complicated) method...
Prepare finings solution and pour into an empty sanitised coke bottle.
Fill a beer bottle with newly carbonated beer (counter pressure fill)
Carefully transfer the beer to the solution in the coke bottle.
Back fill the beer/finings solution back into the keg.
?

You've given me an idea :?:ashock1. I could add the finings to the pressure barrel through the beer out post after carbonation and at the start of conditioning? How about this for a (complicated) method...
Prepare finings solution and pour into an empty sanitised coke bottle.
Fill a beer bottle with newly carbonated beer (counter pressure fill)
Carefully transfer the beer to the solution in the coke bottle.
Back fill the beer/finings solution back into the keg.
?
It might work although in general the finings are added at the surface and as they drop they gather and take particles down with them. If they start at the bottom I’m not sure how effective they will be. Gas post?

I have also bought finings for the first time but I’m undecided if/when they are going in.

In keg I was thinking just to depressurise, open lid, fine, close and purge a few times.

Could use a syringe and squirt it up the tap.

I'm pondering this at the moment as my current batch needs to be brite and wont have time to clear naturally. Was thinking about squirting in with a syringe or just adding to the keg.

Not sure how well you have to stir and mix in the gelatine. It works off positive charge of the gelatine attracting the negative charge of the yeast so direct contact isn't, or shouldn't be necessary. So if you just pour in or squirt in with a circlar motion that should be enough in a relative small vessel. If you're on a massive several thousand litre vessel then you might have to make sure it's better mixed, though I think for cask finings tend to be added to the cask. Keg will probably be fined in the brite tank or fermenter.

Could use a syringe and squirt it up the tap.

I'm pondering this at the moment as my current batch needs to be brite and wont have time to clear naturally. Was thinking about squirting in with a syringe or just adding to the keg.
My pressure barrels don't have taps. I've converted them to corny posts with a floating dip tube from the beer out post.

Well I have fashioned a syringe with a short length of silicone hose attached to a gas call lock connector for squirting in things to the fermenter. Need to make sure you purge the line of any air, but works well - so long as you don't have any pressure in the fermenter.

I always transfer from the FV into a clean bucket, then add finings and wait 24h before racking off to keg athumb..
It's surprising how much drops out of it in the intermediate bucket and I don't really want that in my keg...

EDIT: I should add that sometimes if the beer is proving extremely cloudy and I'm in a hurry, I have occasionally depressurised the keg and added gelatine... but I prefer not to do it

Latest posts

Back