First AG after stopping smoking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJIM72

Landlord.
Reaction score
Beer & tabs,always a perfect combination-or so I thought. Having taste buds that work again it has come as a horrible shock that so many of the commercial beers I loved as a smoker are now plain horrid (hate to say it-Punk IPA,Wells Banana,Landlord-3 nice beers for some),so now what to make?

Some suggestions would be nice from others in the same boat.

I went with a Sarah Hughes-another fave from the smoking days. Just kegged-initial tester was delicious, as was a Gales Mild I was trying to save for Winterval.

Far to inexperienced in AG to give you a recommendation just yet, but thought I'd just give you a big :clap: :clap: :clap: anyway!

Amazing how much more you can taste and smell when you quit, I guess that beers which were subtle would be enlightening now but hats off to you for binning the old cancer sticks :hat:

Just so long as you don't start liking Fosters and John Smiths. :shock:

Thanks for the kind wishes,been a long time coming for me to stop.

The e cigs have made a huge difference.

But still the question remains- a nice AG beer for an ex smoker to brew-suggestions?

Big Kenny & Dark Island could be more interesting now.

BIGJIM72 said:
calumscott said:
How long have you been smoke free Jim?
Went on the E cigs Aug 5th, stopped them Oct 5th-but had one or two lapses

Good work! The taste thing just keeps getting better for years, really subtle flavours will start to amaze you soon...

Well done that man :clap: I'm sure one day you will see it's one of the best decisions you will ever make. If you have the Graham Wheeler book try the Worthington White Shield.

I also :clap: you on stopping smoking. I would recommend Orkney Dark Island. I have made this times now and I think its a most flavorsome beer. Its in Marc Ollasson's book if I recall.

I do have an old copy of the MO book-Dark Island has been bandied around as a brew (mostly by PD).

White Shield could be interesting-made one earlier in the year & any subtleties passed me right by.

Again thanks for the good wishes-not really warranted as I was dumb enough to start in the first place & with the e cig I found it so easy to stop it wasn't really a hardship.

Having said that as a smoker I never noticed how many folk didn't have a puff,now as an ex smoker I notice how many others do.

Well done stopping mate, it certainly is easy with a e CIG. I went from between 30 and 40 a day to none. Couldn't even attempt a real one straight away and now 5 months down the line I can't stand the smell of fags, were £400 a month better off, feel a lot healthier and food and drink tastes completely different.
I still use the e CIG now and then but with 0mg juice and for the flavour.

Brief update for a beer thats as good after quitting the fags- GW's Autumn Glory. I enjoyed it when smoking,now I can taste it its even better-almost a Big Kenny Lite. (Not got the colour, but just as tasty)

I still sometimes miss the smokes after nearly four years, especially after/with a good drink. We'll done to all who manage to quite

Good effort on the demon weed front! :thumb: 17 years on and I still have to be vigilant - we're all still 'recovering'! The ban on smoking in pubs helps.

Boozing is when you are at your mist vulnerable though - just remember how much better most things taste!

Even mild will taste better now!

Had my last smoke nearly 28 years ago, but for many years would dream (sleeping dreams) about smoking. Horrible habit, so good on you for quitting - takes resolve.

:thumb:

Quick question on e cigs, I don't use them as I stopped 40 years ago.

Once you stop "real?" cigs and migrate to e cigs do you then have to wean yourself off e cigs?

How does that work?

I stopped smoking 8 months ago using an e CIG, used that for 2 months and didn't miss that either. Now I don't want either and can't stand the smell of fags. :sick:

Again Slid this is a bumped old post- I am just finding so many shop/pub beers that I used to love are now foul to my taste.

In answer to weaning yourself off e cigs,there is a double whammy & the worst is done. It's not just the nicotine you crave-there are many,many additives in cigarettes, less so in rolling tobacco, that you crave. I had a couple of days of the horrors while my system craved all the other **** apart from the nicotine. Once that passed to stop the e cigs isn't that hard.

Going back to my original idea about this post-there will be others in the same position as me. If there are beers that you now love/hate after quitting the fags then post 'em here-maybe it might help someone else work out what is going on with their taste buds.

Back