First attempt at cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewEng

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum so I appologise if this is in the wrong place.

I've brewed a few beers in the past using the BIAB technique but I'm still a complete amateur. Recently I was given a box of apples so I decided to give cider a go.

So after doing some research here is what I've done so far.

I couldn't afford an apple press so I chopped the apples and blended them into a puree, and then squeezed them through my muslin bag, which yielded around 9 litres of juice, and I squeezed the juice into a 10 litre bucket with 2 ground campden tablets in the bottom.

Once the squeezing was done I took a gravity reading which was 1.04 I think (I didn't write it down) so I added white sugar from the kitchen cupboard until I had a gravity reading of 1.06.

I then left the bucket with a towel over the top for 12 hours before adding 20 drops of pectic enzyme to increase juice yield and reduce cloudiness. After this is left it for a further 12 hours before adding the yeast (Wyeast 4766) and putting the lid on the fermenter.

I'm trying to keep the fermentation temperature at about 22°C (71.6°F) using the fish tank heater method but my heater is a bit rubbish and I don't think it's working very well.

After a day had past I had a look inside and it seems to be fermenting nicely.
(Fermentation started on Sunday 29th Oct).

Is there anything wrong with my method that people could help me with or any advice for what to do next because I haven't made a plan for after the primary fermentation yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the mega post.

Hi I'm new to the forum so I appologise if this is in the wrong place.

I've brewed a few beers in the past using the BIAB technique but I'm still a complete amateur. Recently I was given a box of apples so I decided to give cider a go.

So after doing some research here is what I've done so far.

I couldn't afford an apple press so I chopped the apples and blended them into a puree, and then squeezed them through my muslin bag, which yielded around 9 litres of juice, and I squeezed the juice into a 10 litre bucket with 2 ground campden tablets in the bottom.

Once the squeezing was done I took a gravity reading which was 1.04 I think (I didn't write it down) so I added white sugar from the kitchen cupboard until I had a gravity reading of 1.06.

I then left the bucket with a towel over the top for 12 hours before adding 20 drops of pectic enzyme to increase juice yield and reduce cloudiness. After this is left it for a further 12 hours before adding the yeast (Wyeast 4766) and putting the lid on the fermenter.

I'm trying to keep the fermentation temperature at about 22°C (71.6°F) using the fish tank heater method but my heater is a bit rubbish and I don't think it's working very well.

After a day had past I had a look inside and it seems to be fermenting nicely.
(Fermentation started on Sunday 29th Oct).

Is there anything wrong with my method that people could help me with or any advice for what to do next because I haven't made a plan for after the primary fermentation yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the mega post.

seems ok to me ( I brewed snakebite) which is 50% cider!

Back