First Bash At A Tangerine Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Regular.
Reaction score
Never made one before so It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

This is the recipe I used.

20 Tangerines, you can get the cheap ones which are £1 for a bag of ten.
1Kg of Sugar
1 Tablet of Campden
1 Tsp of Citric Acid
1 Tsp of Pectrolase
1/2 Tsp of Tannin
1 Tsp of Yeast Nutrient
1Tsp of Youngs super Wine Yeast Compound.

When using fresh fruit I always freeze them for a couple of days first. I find that this helps with juice extraction.
Put the fruit into a stockpot or bucket and let them thaw out. Pour 6 pints of boiling water over them and mash the fruit up.
Add Sugar, 1 Campden, Citric Acid, Pectrolase and tannin.

Leave for 24 hours, then add the yeast nutrient and the yeast or yeast starter. Ferment on the pulp for ten days and strain into a DJ and fit airlock

It's bubbling away nicely and hope it turns out good.

Just done my first racking into a clean DJ and topped up with orange juice.
The tangerines produce a lot of sediment very quickly and the colour has gone a lot paler after only 4 days in a Demi John.

I like the look of this wine and as you say Tangerines are cheap at this time of year, Keep us updated on how it goes please. On the subject of fruit wines does anybody know if it counts towards your 5 a day?

Lawrie said:
I like the look of this wine and as you say Tangerines are cheap at this time of year, Keep us updated on how it goes please. On the subject of fruit wines does anybody know if it counts towards your 5 a day?

I count all wines and even Belgian beers as 1 of my 5 a day . . . . . but all of medical science fights the other corner :wha:

Although, I believe red wines have high levels of flavenoids which are good for you.

RobWalker said:
I don't believe for a second that vitamin C can escape through an airlock :lol:

Vit C denatures at 70c. Might not get to the demijhon :shock:

I dont have any pectolose and tannin... This does look interesting. I might give it a miss though as my house has turned into a brewery fro the run up to crimbo.

simkin said:
I believe red wines have high levels of flavenoids which are good for you.

Moderate amounts of alcohol are also beneficial. Unfortunately "moderate" means a pint of beer or cider, a glass of wine or a double spirits :(

Tim_Crowhurst said:
simkin said:
I believe red wines have high levels of flavenoids which are good for you.

Moderate amounts of alcohol are also beneficial. Unfortunately "moderate" means a pint of beer or cider, a glass of wine or a double spirits :(

So I guess 5 pints of cider or 5 glasses of fruit wine a day could be considered a bit ott for my 5 a day then? Ah well it was worth asking. :drink:

I read an article(from a former member of the British Medical Board ) saying that the recommended daily booze intake was plucked from thin air, and that mortality rates of non-drinkers is higher than drinkers until about 63 units a week, whereupon boozers mortality is above non-drinkers! :cheers:

simkin said:
mortality rates of non-drinkers is higher than drinkers until about 63 units a week, whereupon boozers mortality is above non-drinkers! :cheers:

I'll say Amen to that :D

It's nearly two weeks on from my last post and the tangerine wine is still bubbling away ......Looking good at the moment.

When making a wine from fresh fruit rather than fruit juices usually takes a lot longer to clear.......Patients Young Grasshopper :P

Latest posts

Back