First Beer for a year

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

thought I would just put up a quick post as did my first brew day last week for almost a year.

I did get an ace boiler for Christmas, however after winter in the garage, the dial seems to not be responding. I did undo the base to see if I could find any loose connections etc but nothing was obvious.

Unfortunately it stop responding half way through the mash so not sure what this beer will come out like.

Mash was:

3 kg Marris Otter
1 kg Pale Malt

for 1 hour at 67C

I used 14L of water as was planning to sparg water in.

As the boiler stopped responding, I boiled the wort in 2 pans on the hob, using 12g Northern Brewer in each pan for 1 hour.

When I tested the OG, is was showing as 1.079 so I watered this down to 1.042 which was my original aim.

This took it from roughly 12L to 20L in the fermenting bucket.

Its been on a week now so will test tonight for FG and bottle tomorrow if finished. If not, will be bottled the following Wednesday.

Was so much fun to be back brewing so looking forward to putting another batch on Wednesday either way.

At the moment, I am just using up some ingredients I had bought a few months back.

If I can't get the boiler fixed (any helpful suggestions gratefully received) then will probably revert back to smaller batches in the short term until I can get a bigger stock pot.

Next beer brewed this evening.

Happy with my new process as usig the ace boiler as a mash tun. Double walled so works well, bag fits perfectly and tap works so glad i didnt chuck it.

Mashed
4kg maris otter
250g oats
250g light crystal
250g medium crystal

67c for 1 hour in 16lt water

Boiled in 2c 6l pans with 15g challenger hops in each pan at 1 hour.

I topped up with another 2l of wort when there was space and added 15g challenger at 5 minutes.

Put 10l into the fermenter and topped up with another 10l of boiled water.

OG came out at 1.045

Really enjoyed the evening and looking forward to bottling last weeks brew nect week.

I do have a kit that i might do if I have time.

Back