First brew Blues.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delidroid

Reaction score
Hello there.
In 1976 I started brewing my own beer using Boots 1 Gallon beer kits. I didn’t know how good or bad it was as I was 13 and couldn’t drink in Pubs. I tried a few kits and once an all grain system years later by gave up as the beer was rubbish compared to what the experts were brewing.

Recently since the Pubs were shut indefinitely I ventured into Wilco’s and bought A 5 gallon bucket, Pressure Barrel, Hydrometer, Syphon, spoon, Campden tablets and Woodfordes wherry beer kit. No Book or Thermometers for sale so did what I could.

I Washed and sterilised everything with a mixture of dilute Bleach and white Vinegar, Rinsed and then 5 crushed Campden tablets in hot water.
made the kit by pouring the cans into the bucket, rinsed out with hot water. Added a couple more kettles of hot water to bin to dissolve the syrup. I filled it to 5 gallon mark with cold water. I added 1/2 a Campden tablet to remove the Chlorine.

After 5 hours I pitched the yeast and left it in the corner of a fairly cool room and left it to ferment. The O.G. Was 1045. When it stopped fermenting 6 days later F.G was 1014. I checked again the next day and barrelled it with 3oz sugar.

I left it alone for 24 Days and tasted it. (Ok I carried it down the garden to the Shed and expected it to be a bit cloudy that night).
It tasted like a beer kit and left a bitter aftertaste And am thoroughly disappointed.

I carried the barrel back to the house and have left it in the corner 5 days ago and I’m wondering if I should have saved time and rolled the thing out the door into the nearest Bush. I haven’t tasted it yet though. I’m not a happy Bunny.

There's many people that like the Wherry kit and come back for more. Personally I wasn't a big fan and found it twangy like other Muntons kits. But what I did find is that it does get improve with keeping so all I can suggest is you leave it alone for another month maybe longer and you might find it improves.
I used to make up Coopers kits and for me they usually turned out fine, although if done as a kit and a kilo some might be a bit uninspiring. But if you are stout drinker try the Coopers Original or Irish stouts they are up there with the best of kit beers, and will be ideal for your PB.

Thank you. I read on here 6 to 8 weeks is good for these kits.
I really like IPA and APA type beer. I live in North Kent uk and the water is really hard and best suited to Stouts. I’ll take your advice and try one.

I really like IPA and APA type beer. I live in North Kent uk and the water is really hard and best suited to Stouts. I’ll take your advice and try one.
3-4 weeks is still a little on the young side in my opinion, I’d imagine it will continue to improve over the next few weeks. I’d give it a try again in another 2-4 weeks.

You could try making a kit up with Tesco Ashbeck water instead of from your tap. That will probably help, but may not completely remove the initial twang that is often associated with the liquid malt extract in kits that takes time to condition out.

Stout reviews here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-irish-stout-review.17818/https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-original-stout-review.17817/If you like AIPA and APA beers the Youngs American range are quite well thought of.
My view on twang is its down to LME, especially old or cheap LME although I did find the Muntons kits I did susceptible to it. And in my view if your tap water tastes and smells OK its good enough for kit brewing without modification, except for chlorine/chloramine treatment with a campden if your tap water is loaded with it
And if you are going to treat your brewing water with campden I would do it before you make the kit up not after.

Stout reviews here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-irish-stout-review.17818/https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-original-stout-review.17817/If you like AIPA and APA beers the Youngs American range are quite well thought of.
My view on twang is its down to LME, especially old or cheap LME although I did find the Muntons kits I did susceptible to it. And in my view if your tap water tastes and smells OK its good enough for kit brewing without modification, except for chlorine/chloramine treatment with a campden if your tap water is loaded with it
And if you are going to treat your brewing water with campden I would do it before you make the kit up not after.
Thank you. I suppose I could fill my pressure barrel with tap water, treat it and then use it for brewing. I now see how inconvenient a Kitchen is for preparing food, Laundry etc. It takes up so much brewing space.

You could try making a kit up with Tesco Ashbeck water instead of from your tap. That will probably help, but may not completely remove the initial twang that is often associated with the liquid malt extract in kits that takes time to condition out.
Ashbeck water Sounds like a plan. Trouble is my Tesco’s is like Poland in the Communist era. One day I queue for Bread. The next Toothpaste etc

3-4 weeks is still a little on the young side in my opinion, I’d imagine it will continue to improve over the next few weeks. I’d give it a try again in another 2-4 weeks.
I now see why we need so many Barrels. One week brew, two Months wait to drink it.

Thank you. I suppose I could fill my pressure barrel with tap water, treat it and then use it for brewing. I now see how inconvenient a Kitchen is for preparing food, Laundry etc. It takes up so much brewing space.
I had four basic PBs. I now have one working waiting to fail like the others. However the good thing about them is they can be recycled (HDPE) and if they don't leak below the very top can be used to treat brewing water. Otherwise?

I had four basic PBs. I now have one working waiting to fail like the others. However the good thing about them is they can be recycled (HDPE) and if they don't leak below the very top can be used to treat brewing water. Otherwise?
[/QUOTE

Hello. I posted here about First kit in years I had brewed and barrelled 13th April. It tasted like window cleaner when I tried it 7th May. I took your advice and ignored it for a while longer. Not difficult as I was afraid I would go blind.

Today 11th June I risked another taste. I poured out about 1/2 pint of fire extinguisher foam, threw it and poured a 1/2 Pint.
It’s got a massive head, smells of home brew yeast, is a bit hazy but very drinkable. I can’t compare it to the real thing having never tasted it. I feel much more confident to have another go with a Kit of the beer type I would actually buy.

Latest posts

Back