First brew of 2016

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukehgriffiths

Reaction score
Not sure if I started earliest (post wake up) on 1/1/16 at 6.15 but it got done,

Pale Ale... Maris Otter and tiny bit of crystal and wheat (why mess with MO too much eh)

Nugget and Citra to bitter.

Willamette and Citra late.

Tiny bit of Citra dry.

Butty Bach yeast...

1040 og

Thought I was waiting for it to start and it is already 1010 (likely final gravity).

Will give it a test in couple of days before sending it somewhere cold. Looking forward to trying my gravity tester.

Keep brewing everyone... I may stick another on soon.

Luke

Well last one hour second wind and dropped to 1006! Was not expecting that much AS.

Second brew fermenting now... using up bits left from last big HBC order. Probably one or two more brews left so 240 pints from 70 quid worth of grain and hops. If only heating the fluid were as cheap.

Here is the recipe

3.5kg Maris Otter
0.3kg Crystal 60
0.25kg Torrefied Wheat

18g Nugget and 12g Challenger at 90mins
10g Challenger and 20g Willamette at 5mins

Yeast from little valley organic python beer.

Easy drinker I hope.

Not sure if I started earliest (post wake up) on 1/1/16 at 6.15 but it got done,

Pale Ale... Maris Otter and tiny bit of crystal and wheat (why mess with MO too much eh)

Nugget and Citra to bitter.

Willamette and Citra late.

Tiny bit of Citra dry.

Butty Bach yeast...

1040 og

Thought I was waiting for it to start and it is already 1010 (likely final gravity).

Will give it a test in couple of days before sending it somewhere cold. Looking forward to trying my gravity tester.

Keep brewing everyone... I may stick another on soon.

Luke

What was your mash temp?

Being honest I didn't check.

Experience says no as I mashed out after 90 mins left it 3 hours with no drop before. Sparge water may have dropped as it stuck a couple of times.

Sounds good. I like a dry beer. Especially if it has a nice hop flavor. Good job.
Just curious what was your strike temp?

That's probably a bit low for that amount of grain. Your mash temp probably dropped lower that 67. That much grain and the time stirring and such, you can loose a lot. Usually a full load of grain will drop the temp by 6 or 7 degrees.

Sorry... thought you meant for the sparge... the mash was 67... strike at 80 and that (from past experience; and measuring temp) tends to land me bang on 67.

I have started sparging at 70 for the second rest figuring it won't drop so much... starting to think it needs to be higher as I have had FG hitting 1005... used to sparge nearer 80 and have them finish 1010 and that is better for certain styles.

Good to know that this method can be used to adjust likely FG... lower for light summer beers.

Luke

It matters. But then you also have types of yeast. If you have a high OG, then you produce a lot more alcohol and many yeasts have a low tolerance for alcohol. So that matters too. You could still have fermentables in there but the yeast stopped due to alcohol levels as well as temp. So it gets tricky.

Latest posts

Back