First Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wifes made me put it in the shed so i have wrapped a mattress around the crates to try and keep it warm....god only knows if that will work

Depends what temp the shed is at, you really want to be leaving beer at approx 18°C for 2 weeks before moving somewhere cooler.

As slid says it will take longer in the shed - at this time of year it will be cooler than 18°C out there, and much cooler over night I would have thought.

Can't you buy her a bunch of flowers and move the beer into a spare corner of the house for 10-14 days before moving out to the shed ?

I think I would make a wooden box and put a small tubular heater in the bottom with a cheapy room thermostat in the top.

All my beer goes straight into shed, leave it for 6 months and it's great. But 2 weeks a little on green side. I never drink under 2 months old but I have stock. I would bring a few inside for use in two weeks or so but leave bulk outside for latter use.

Sneak it into the loft when she's out shopping, turn the heating on and hope there are no blow-outs:pray:

My first batch after summer recess went into shed yesterday. I would think around Christmas before I get around to drinking. As the year progresses so will the time in the shed, at the moment drinking beer started in January even odd bottle started last year. Heat can kill yeast but cold only makes it dormant so in shed it just takes longer to condition. Going to pub now and drinking local cask ales I now recognise the taste of a green beer. I now prefer conditioned beer but as a new brewer you will likely find the green beer quite palatable as that's what we drink in the Pub. If the beer got too hot while fermenting you get a bitter taste, however this reduces as the beer conditions, it will continue to condition even a year after bottling so if it does not taste as wanted just leave it longer.

What we have to remember is we use tap water or at least I do. So it is never completely clear of infection, so the fermenting has to be quick to beat any other organisms forget lager temperatures with tap water, and there is a limit to how long it will keep dependent on alcohol level the higher the longer it will keep. A year in the shed seems to be no problem but would be wary of three year old beer.

I think il buy myself a thermometer and check the shed out. Theres no chance she will let me keep 45 bottles of beer in the house.

I've bought a few large plastic storage boxes with lids from home bargains. Two for a tenner. I use those to store in the corner of a room in the house for 2 weeks, before moving them down to the garage for cold storage. Do you have a corner of a spare room or something, wardrobe, etc?

I could probably use my wardrobe...the temp in my shed is 16.0 c.. thats too cool isnt it?

Ive brought it indoors and put it in my wardrobe...two things concern me ..
1...my wife will kill me
2.... the beer looks very flat.
Problem 2 is the greater concern.

Get some of those plastic crates I mentioned with lids. Cause if they do carb up too much you will be in the doghouse if you get 45 bottle bombs!

Flat - warm will help. Just leave em in there for a week or two.

Ive brought it indoors and put it in my wardrobe...two things concern me ..
1...my wife will kill me

Have you thought about brewing something she really likes in addition to what you drink? It's amazing how tolerance levels can increase!

Im going to buy two containers with lids tomorrow. shall I leave them indoors until a week on sunday? Im not sure what is enough now.

Im going to buy two containers with lids tomorrow. shall I leave them indoors until a week on sunday? Im not sure what is enough now.

2+2+2

2 weeks fermenting in FV, 2 weeks warm condition at room temp, 2 weeks cold condition is the basic rule of thumb that folk on here often use.

I always use a couple of coopers plastic PET bottles so I can see how they are carbonating up by squeezing the bottle. my most recent brew has been 12 days in the bottle, so I will move down to the garage over the weekend for the cold conditioning stage.

ive got 25 glass bottles and 20 coopers pets...will it make a difference that ive had them in the shed for 10 days before ive brought them back inside?

Latest posts

Back