First Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regfixit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Grainfather conical fermenter arrived on Monday so I spent the evening doing a bit of hackery to hook it up to my existing bar chiller.
In the end this worked really neatly using the cooler connection kit that GF make. It provides a link wire and a 12V DC pump that is activated when the GF calls for cooling. I am using the output from this link wire to operate a SSR to switch my cooler on (if it's not already on for dispensing beer) and the submersible pump just sits in the reservoir tank connected to the 12V by a splitter cable.

It means I can turn the cooler off and on as normal for dispensing beer and it won't affect the fermenter, but if the cooler is off and the fermenter gets too hot it will switch the cooler on.
6BBF8D26-4851-4528-87A9-CA9DA6E2F51C.JPG

Tuesday I started making my first brew - Youngs American Pale Ale. I followed the instructions and by the time I'd topped the water up the wort was at 20C which is almost the temperature they advise for this brew so ideal.
I sprinkled the yeast on top and put the lid on...

Then woke up in a mild panic on Wednesday as I realised the instructions mentioned to gently stir the yeast in and I'd forgotten to do that. I was about to post a question on here about it, but thought best to check with a bit of reading first. Probably a good job as it seems the sprinkle vs stir vs rehydrate your yeast first debate is rather lively 😉
Anyway by Wednesday evening the airlock was bubbling away and so I am now waiting. I can also say that "it smells like a brewery in here" :laugh8:

Meanwhile my corny keg and growler have arrived.
7B9C2DE2-7A20-4F75-A40E-719773648A57.JPG
E75A782A-A5EB-4AF8-A8AE-E6251F5EFD25.JPG

As there was only a bit of Stella left in my bar keg, I've transferred it to the corny and growler as practice in using the disconnects and gas. It also means I can swap it for a full keg of Stella until my brew is ready.
I think I did OK with the transfer process - I pressurised the new kegs to 12psi and had the Stella at 20psi and then filled them via the product out lines, occasionally bleeding the pressure as needed. I think this means I've managed to transfer with no exposure to O2, so will be doing something similar when I come to keg my brew. Not that it matters for the Stella as only about 12 pints left which will be drunk shortly.

My only quandary now is about adding the dry hops. The instructions say to do this a few days before bottling. I think I'll wait for the fermentation to more or less stop, then add them via the air lock hole, then put target temperature really low and hope it clears. I was wondering if I should put the hops in a muslin bag, or will they be fine just floating freely ?

I am a bit puzzled as yesterday it seemed to have stopped bubbling, only 4 days after pitching the yeast. Today the same so I took a sample with the hydrometer and gravity is 1010. So it seems to have finished fermentation in only 4 days instead of 10 as the kit mentions.

I have to leave it unattended after today for a week as going to visit my support bubble so I'm not sure what to do on a few fronts:
  • the kit comes with priming sugar which I won't need as will be kegging and force carbing. However, I'm wondering if I should now add this sugar as the kit is presumably factored in on it being used and the ABV at the moment ( approx 4.9% with OG 1046) is a little lower than the kit states. I don't mind about the alcohol really, but wonder if the taste is designed to be best with that sugar also in it. Should I add it now or not bother ?
  • As I have to leave it for a week is it OK to leave it at 21C on the yeast or should I lower the temperature. Also, should I dump some of the yeast from the bottom valve ? I believe it need to sit on the yeast a bit for diacetyl rest so maybe keep it at 21 for a day and then lower to condition (the GF fermenter app means I can change the temperature remotely)
Any advice greatly appreciated for my first brew !

I wouldn't add sugar, the amount of priming sugar would only add a 0.3-0.5 % to the abv so negligible really.

I leave my beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks sometimes 3, regardless of whether its finished or not. I believe that it's only really lager yeast that you have to be careful of diacetyl so yes in that case you would ferment at a low temp and raise the temp near the end. I generally with ale yeast start at the lower end of what it says on the packet and steadily up the temp.

Hope that helps!

Great, thanks for the advice. I will just leave it in peace for a week then and add the dry hops when I come back next Sunday and keg on Wednesday after that.
I just had a taste from the trial jar and even though it's all cloudy with yeast it tastes pretty nice already. I'm looking forward to it !

Hops added yesterday. Set it to cool 3 hours ago and already down to 5c. Really pleased with the Grainfather link up to my beer cooler. Should be fine for brewing an all grain lager next
94698F3D-9B0A-4498-A38B-5A9603BDEA29.png

I've been cold crashing at 3C for 40 hours now and samples from last night and this morning still have a kind of haze to them still. I am wondering if this is as clear as it will get or should I leave it longer. I also let the sample warm up in case it was chill haze, but it stays the same. Any advice - should I keg now or leave longer ?
IMG_8787.jpg

Back