First Scottish Ale attempt update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigite

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not bad considering how far north I live, but I've never attempted a Scottish Ale.
Friends at work want a 70/- so put a WYeast Scottish starter on today and was going to brew tomorrow. Only thing is now I have to go to a meeting first thing, (work :x )

Well, should get the HLT on at about 1pm cos I told them I'd only give them a couple of hours. Well it's not like they'll pay me. :nono: :x

Anyway, any advice on my 70/- :pray:
HolmBrew70.jpg

Well, as no one has given any suggestions for changes I've brewed as planned.
Wort is boiling and has over an hour to go. Long boil to try for a little caramelisation.

This is the first time I've treated the water as here the water is very soft.
Eventually got a water report from Scottish Water. :clap:

Just racked my Rhubarb beer. How do you spell rhubarb?

Bit warm for fermentation in the house as I'm looking for between 16 and 17degC.
Out to the garage then, only 10degC in there.

So HLT controller, bucket wrapped in camping mat, and sensor between bucket end mat.
Checked with thermometer and it proved to be accurate.
So HLT controller output is to a simple brew belt under the camping mat jacket.
IMAG0208.jpg

So far it is doing me proud.
IMAG0207.jpg

Here's hoping it keeps that way as I'm off down to the Glasgow area for a few days.

Just back from my trip down to Glasgow and the fermentor temp controller is working fine. Seems to range from about 15.6 to 16.1
Still about a inch thick yeast head sitting proud; if I'd been at home i might have skimmed off some yeast for later brews.

Anyway, while searching boozers down south I came across McEwans 70/- on tap. Strange pint to me; sweet but not in a sickly way, low carbonation, smooth, malt flavour without being overpowering, and no hop that I could tell.

The thing is now I don't know if I can be bothered maturing this brew and bottling it. Hade two bottles of my first recipe formulation brew for an IPA and all I can say is that I'd have paid twice what I paid for the 70/- to get a pint like my IPA. Sorry if this sounds a bit big headed but that's just my taste.

Haven't had time to check the gravity, I post when I have and also let you all know how it turns out. :hmm:

Bottled this tonight, so we had a fly taste.
Wow, very sweet without hop flavour to balance. Must admit, it does taste of a Scottish 70/- already. Don't think it'll be my cup of tea. :?
Took a fly taste of my IPA that's conditioning; now that I like. :thumb:

Right, back from our holiday. Ended up walking around the Cairngorms. Never got above 800m as the weather was foul and the cloud base was usually lower than 800. :(

So, the brew.
Well first thing is that I read my own sheet wrong and overprimed with 120g.
Still maturing but first true taste is exactly as planned with the excaption of stightly to much fizz. Luckly not that much as to spoil it.
As I said earlier, I did not expect that i'd like this type of brew. But I can report I like it.
I'd even go as far as suggesting others try it.
A smooth soft swwetish ale. But the sweetness is now in the background and improves the taste not over power it. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back