First time Corny keg user

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just bought 2 new AEB kegs from TMM and some floating dip tubes complete with short liquid tubes from BKT as TMM didn't have them.

Please could anyone direct me to some kind of keg tool or all-in-one spanner that I will need to disassemble them?

I wish I'd bought them before now as I'm obsessed, even though the lids (handles) are super tight at the moment! Hoping they'll get slightly looser with use.

Getting quite a collection of stuff now!

87AD2806-F97C-4F45-8A8D-287867E04337.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't have to disassemble for quite a while, if they're new probably for years. Assuming you'll use your kegwasher.

Also got a flexi top feed on a float, using a different cap. I leave the long dip in and only change the cap. 22mm stubbie ring spanner is all you need. I only use it when short on stock. Bottom feed tubes are simpler and work well , but need 2 weeks chilled settling time.

Last edited:
I would be very careful, if you knacker the thread the keg is useless, i have had my 4 kegs now over 18 months and never had a problem, i reverse flush them with the all rounder

I would be very careful, if you knacker the thread the keg is useless, i have had my 4 kegs now over 18 months and never had a problem, i reverse flush them with the all rounder

Just so we are all on the same page, I should've said I won't be using the long dip tube so I want to take it out, hence why I need a keg tool or an all-in-one spanner to disassemble. Not keen on the idea of drawing from the bottom so I've bought floating ones, which I said in my OP. I just thought someone might have a link to a tool they have bought that does the job.

Last edited:
I think then I will buy something like this. I do have an adjustable spanner but it's ancient and very rusty and I'm not keen on it at all, especially for use on new stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable...cphy=1007266&hvtargid=pla-1461584395573&psc=1

You don't have enough space to use that. I barely can get there with my slim bahco. You'll be better off with a long reach socket, the size depends on the keg type, you need to measure it, probably 22mm or 19mm or 17mm

The AEB kegs need a 22mm or 7/8" spanner, or a deep socket (if you have a socket wrench).

I change my dip tubes between regular and floating depending upon how quick I need to serve.

Floating when I want something to turn around quickly, but the final pint will be a bit sludgy.

If I can wait then I leave the regular dip tube in. The first pint or two comes out hazy but then it's clear until the end.

Latest posts

Back