first time kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldilocks

Reaction score
I have been fermenting my first ever beer brew, a coopers original stout kit. All seems good but I could do with some advice for a first time of kegging and conditioning.

All seems to have stopped after 10 days at a gravity of 1.010. I have taken this measurement 3 times over about 36 hours now, and the top is flat with no visible action of bubbles.

I have a wilkos pressure keg to put this into. I gather from my research I need to sterilize my keg, prime with sugar, and transfer my brew with as little gunk/sediment as possible.

I'm not sure on the amount of sugar to use, the temp to condition at, or the minimum time to condition although I appreciate that longer is better.

Any help, as always, greatly appreciated.

3.5-4g / litre dextrose (or sugar) for priming, 2 weeks at 18-20C then a further two weeks in a cooler place and then try it. it should improve if you leave it longer.

Kegged a Coopers stout with a tin of treacle at the end of May, used 115g of brewing sugar to prime. Started drinking it yesterday, and its spot on. Also did a few bottles of this brew. IMO the kegged is better, I prefer my stout with less carbonation. My only tip is to check it after a week in the warm place to ensure there is a build up of pressure, this will indicate there are no leaks, by drawing a small glass off.

Cheers Tony:cheers:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be transferring the brew in the morning. That means I'll have a FV with nowt in it..... On to the next one.

So this didn't go as well as planned. My wilkos pressure keg has steadily leaked from the tap overnight. Probably a quarter of a pint from steady dripping.
Back to wilkos for a refund after i have put the brew into my luckily purchased second keg.

Where did it leak from? Seems a common post this one, never had any trouble with mine, if its the tap, try leaving at 3 o clock rather than fully closed, if its the seal did you use a smear of Vaseline on the seal and make sure you didn't over tighten it?.

Also make sure you don't overtighten the tap as they are cheap they crack. I had two of these issues on three of my kegs. It appears to be a flaw with the budget kegs.

The screwcap was not sealing on the top letting air in and allowing the tap to drip from where it dispenses.
The white tap barrel also seemed loose in its mounting.

Went back and swapped it ! No hassle and all good. I will test each keg first before filling with brew though.

Other keg is fine though.

No not necessarily so, sometimes you can get to the last few pints when the pressure runs out.

So keg number 2 is now leaking :(
From a different place this time. Is it possible there is too much pressure here ?

I have a picture but no idea how to attach it from my phone.

So keg number 2 is now leaking :(
From a different place this time. Is it possible there is too much pressure here ?

I have a picture but no idea how to attach it from my phone.

I have 4 Wilko kegs and the only times I have ever had a problem were of my own doing. Here's a few tips that might help you:

1. Take a flat block and some very fine sand paper and ensure the top of your barrel is level and free from sharp bits that can affect the seal
2. Always Vaseline the thread of both the cap and the tap
3. Always Vaseline the washer of both the cap and tap
4.Don't over tighten either the cap or tap - finger tight is sufficient. Any tighter will distort the flat washer inside the cap and prevent it from sealing

Following these procedures I have not had any problems and priming most ales with 75-80g enables me to get down to the last 1/3rd of the barrel before I need to inject CO2.

If your barrel cap is leaking, remove it and cover the top of the barrel with cling film. Remove the washer from the cap and immerse in boiling water for 5-10 mins. Refit washer and vaseline that and the threads. refit cap to barrel. You may be lucky and get a little late secondary carbonation, but if not, hit it with a little CO2.

Hope that helps.

FatCol :thumb:

Hi fatcol. Thanks for the advice, heaps of useful Info there !

I have vaselined both the cap thread and the lid thread. It is leaking from between the black part and white part of the tap where they join, just behind the tap itself.
I didn't think those parts needed separating and greasing.
I am tempted to try keg number 3

I assume you are referring to the black washer that seals the tap to the barrel? If so, then the face of the washer (i.e. the part that actually pushes onto the barrel) should be Vaselined as this will help to seat the washer and create a seal. Also, applying vaseline to the tap thread will help it to seal.

Don't worry - you aren't the first (how do you think I learnt :doh:) and won't be the last person to suffer teething problem when kegging.

Just follow the steps on my previous post in future and you should have no problems.

FatCol

Nope not the sealing washer. The black part that is the tap assembly that is attached to the white screw in part. Its leaking from behind the black plastic disc that the actual tap is mounted to.

I will try and get a pic up soon.

Nope not the sealing washer. The black part that is the tap assembly that is attached to the white screw in part. Its leaking from behind the black plastic disc that the actual tap is mounted to.

I will try and get a pic up soon.

My taps are all white, which is why I thought you meant the washer, which on my barrels is the only black part.

If that part is leaking, then you need a new tap.

Does your tap look similar to mine?

IMG_0551.jpg

Ah, these are the new tapped kegs that have appeared recently

that tap is failing and needs replacing/returning.. :(

perhaps consider bottling a batch or 2, its a bit more work than a pb, but gives a different beer, you can condition more in a bottle, and they are a lot easier to chill before supping.

a quick easy way to test a pb is to fill almost to the brim with warm water and add a few scoops of laundury oxy before quickly sealing the cap. with minimal headroom the release o2 from the oxy will soon build up some pressure and any leaks should become evident.

I do have some bottles that I could use, but being new to homebrewing I don't have a lot yet but maybe enough to save this brew. I also have another wilko's keg I could transfer to but maybe I should test it first.

Can I bottle this already primed batch or will this method cause problems ? I'm assuming the best way to do this would be to siphon from the top of the keg and not use the tap as this would just give me bottles full of froth.

On the plus side, this actually tastes quite good :D I had a taster glass which extended to a few more as it was more than drinkable. Pleasantly surprised for my first ever brew. If I ever get to condition it I hope it will improve more with age.

Latest posts

Back