First time using Brewzilla, a few problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what a AIO is sorry🤔
No problems with recirculation. Usually put the silicone tube through the hole in the lid set a couple of inches above the grain bed with a low/medium flow depending on how well the flow is through the grain. I have also taken the overflow pipe out and put a stainless steel blank in the thread at the bottom. I just monitor the gap between the grain bed and the recirculation tube to see if it's backing up.

AIO! Sorry, I've read this before as a shortcut for 'all in one'! Thanks for the reply. I can see what you have done there and I will have to consider this for my next brew. Like food recipes, instructions are only a guide, its what works for you that works!

I was in exactly the same boat when I moved over to a Brewzilla after using a cool box and buffalo style boiler for years. It was a bit disheartening, as I'd spent a long time using the old kit and was confident with it.

I got a few stuck mashes in my early brews with the system. I tried altering many variables to address this but adding rice hulls (2 handfulls) and watching my mill crush (mill gap set to 0.9 mm in my case) are the only two that I stick with. Removing the fine mesh screen may have helped too, but I find I can use the fine screen now as long as I use the hulls and the right crush.

Hoping you figure this out and enjoy the Brewzilla. I love it and am around 60 brews deep now, no looking back!

I'm on a grainfather, but stuck mashes are the same in all AIO systems.

I've found two things really helped to get past stuck mashes/recirc.

Giving the grain bed a really good stir after 5 and maybe 10 minutes. And conditioning the grain (see below).

After doing this, I get really really good recirculation and never need to use rice hulls.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/grain-conditioning-for-milling.98260/

Yes I rarely use oat/rice hulls either. I mill my grains at around 1.1mm and get great efficiency, usually overshoot target gravity. As others have said, a good stir a few minutes into the mash sorts things out if it's getting stuck. I run the top screen and just remove it to stir, then replace it. Usually notice instant improvement in flow as can open the tap far more...

Hi
Having brewed lBIAB for 40 plus years without issue I now find myself in pre school with thus kit.
I have read the instructions,and watched the videos but..
Problem 1.
I mashed in calculating 3 litres per kg of malt but added 7 litres to the liquor as that is what sits below the false bottom. Logic being the grain would sit in the right proportion of liquor.
Stirred well and placed the too seive over the grain and fitted the overflow pipe.
Set the circulation pump to low and checked the temperature.
Very soon after the liquor crept up to the overflow so I stopped the pump. The top seive slipped down several inches leaving a volume of water sat on top. I couldn't circulate it and the temp dropped.
Problem 2.
I lifted the malt pipe to drain off for the boil but it basically just trickled out in drips, only dropping a couple of inches in half an hour!
Any ideas??
I would just approach it as you did brew in a bag, remove the top screen, doesn't really serve a purpose. Supposed to prevent channeling but watching most videos the screen is submerged anyway. I presume you were mashing full volume, why not do the same with the SVB? Dough in and stir, it will take 15 to 20 minutes for the starch to convert so no need for more stirring. If your crush is fine just vorlauf for 20 mins until wort runs clear, drain the mash tun and go for the boil. Just try a few different thing until you are happy with the end result.

I would just approach it as you did brew in a bag, remove the top screen, doesn't really serve a purpose. Supposed to prevent channeling but watching most videos the screen is submerged anyway. I presume you were mashing full volume, why not do the same with the SVB? Dough in and stir, it will take 15 to 20 minutes for the starch to convert so no need for more stirring. If your crush is fine just vorlauf for 20 mins until wort runs clear, drain the mash tun and go for the boil. Just try a few different thing until you are happy with the end result.
I think this makes sense. I've been thinking for my next brew to 'forget' I'm using an all in one with bells and whistles and just do what I do! I did give the mash in a good long stir and it looked fine before it compacted ( I still have a fair amount of fine crushed pale to use up so ordered some rice hulls). Other than a problem sparging I got an expected result so you were right re your starch conversion point.
Thanks for the comments.

Latest posts

Back