First use of cornies.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinleycat

Landlord.
Reaction score
My lager is ready to go into the cornies, but I've just got to set them up.
They've been oxi cleaned and left to air dry - they will be sanitised and rinsed before filling, probably Wednesday.
I've not got a larder fridge yet so I'm going to drill some holes through the rubber as its cold the fridge isn't a priority.
I think I read somewhere that I need to use a 22m drill bit to make the required hole, is that right?
I've got my gas, connectors, taps and pipes etc, once hooked up am I best doing a "dry run" with water, and is this as simple as I expect - i.e fill with water gas up check for leaks and then if all ok empty?
Gassing - it's big standard coopers lager, where should I be hitting with the gas,20-30 psi? And for how long before dropping to pouring pressure?
Conditioning time, is it the usual without the secondary - so just two to three weeks conditioning time then guzzle?
KC :thumb:

I purge air out with co2 then shake kegs to force carbonate at 20psi for 30 secs then just keep topping up with a bit more gas at 20psi every couple of days or so for around a week then leave it until it's hooked up for dispensing and serve at around 6psi.

BB

Chill your keg then connect upto gas at about 20psi and roll around for a min. You should hear the co2 being absorbed! As its a kit it should be ready to drink in 4 weeks but carbonation will be almost instant if you follow the above.

Plan to cool the brew before syphoning to about 5c.
Get all the nonsense to the bottom.
So I can give it a shake, will I have to then keep it at 20psi until I knock it down to drink (3 weeksish)?
Do I need to keep it coupled to the gas?

Sorry another question:
I've got two taps and a splitter for the gas pipe.
Does gas only come through the connector when it's coupled to the cornies? i've three cornies but plan to connect up two at a time.

Are you talking about drilling holes in the rubber to attach the taps to? I wouldn't bother, especially if you're going to end up with them in a larder fridge anyway. Better just attaching your taps to a bit of scrap wood until you get your fridge sorted and leaving your cornies undamaged.

Yes, the gas only comes through the disconnect when it's hooked up, having said that I don't leave the gas on permanently in case a leak ends up with an empty cylinder

Dave1970 said:
Are you talking about drilling holes in the rubber to attach the taps to? I wouldn't bother, especially if you're going to end up with them in a larder fridge anyway. Better just attaching your taps to a bit of scrap wood until you get your fridge sorted and leaving your cornies undamaged.

Yes, the gas only comes through the disconnect when it's hooked up, having said that I don't leave the gas on permanently in case a leak ends up with an empty cylinder
That's probably a better plan!! :thumb:

Well the lager is in the cornie and charged to 20 psi and the gas is off at the cylinder and the connection, I've checked and I'm leak free but even so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
It certainly saves in sterilising bottles!!!

Kinleycat said:
Well the lager is in the cornie and charged to 20 psi and the gas is off at the cylinder and the connection, I've checked and I'm leak free but even so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I am no black belt but would leave it with the gas on for say 4 days....

jampot said:
Kinleycat said:

I am no black belt but would leave it with the gas on for say 4 days....
I'm going to check it daily but I'm certain it's airtight I'm just not sure how quick the beer will absorb it.

What will you be checking? You need to leave the gas on to allow the beer to fully absorb the volume of co2 you require for eg 2.0 vols. This could take some time depending on temp etc. Colder will absorb quicker.

Checked the pressure this morning and it had dropped to 10 psi so I have topped up.
I'll check it again this evening. :thumb:

Back