Flaked Barley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
As i can't seem to buy this from any HBS here i had a scout about for some today in town. Vossy(i think) said i might get it in a place that sells horse feed and the like. He was right. But it was steamed flaked barley. Suitable for ruminants??? The smallest amount they had was a 25KG sack!

Is steamed flaked barley, suitable for ruminants what i'm after? A lady in the shop said i might be able to get a smaller amount at a different store. Not keen to put horse feed into my beer. :wha:

Any help here greatly appreciated. :cool:

i had to look that up hehe

ru·mi·nant (r??'m?-n?nt) Pronunciation Key
n. Any of various hoofed, even-toed, usually horned mammals of the suborder Ruminantia, such as cattle, sheep, goats, deer, and giraffes, characteristically having a stomach divided into four compartments and chewing a cud consisting of regurgitated, partially digested food.

i can't find any info on whether it's the same stuff for brewing though, but what i did find is that the flaked barley used for brewing is "Steam Rolled"

:lol: :lol: I live in the worlds highest concentration of man/sheep love relationships BS, i'm quite aware of what a ruminant is. :rofl:

Steam rolled aye? Still a bit unsure about cattle feed in my brew though as quite a lot is not suitable for human consumption.

You did make me laugh with that one BS. :clap:

glad i amused :P

i missunderstood all the ???'s after ruminants to mean that you didn't know what that was. but heck i didn't know, so looked it up and posted it :oops:

Sorry mate. I wanted to know if food for our hoofed friends is human friendly. And i have a tendency to use ??? more than i should perhaps???

I have been using horse feed flaked barley & also flaked maize for years it's a hell of a lot cheaper

Thanks for that Rab. Not sure i need a 25kg sack though?

Thanks for that Rab. Not sure i need a 25kg sack though?

You might not MEB, but over here 25kg of farmers feed flaked maize or flaked barley can be the same price as 2kg of shop bought....you can go green and give the rest to a local farmer :lol:
Last year (07) I was getting 25kg of flaked maize for £6....all in the pursuit of large carp :party:

Don't mention Large Carp. Here carp are the devil. I miss my old stints of Carp fishing. :(

You write 'catch them' like it's simple? I've probably spent 1 year of my life tucked away in a bivvy waiting, waiting, waiting, patiently for a carp to pick up my bait and trundle of with it. And about 4 hr's cursing snags, another 8 hr's cursing ducks and another few days poised over a rod cos i got a 'twitch'. Eat them? After all that hassle i've always put them back. :roll: Carp is very very nice to eat though.

Them in the know say up to 4 lbs tastes great, any older and the meat isn't as great

You write 'catch them' like it's simple? I've probably spent 1 year of my life tucked away in a bivvy waiting, waiting, waiting, patiently for a carp to pick up my bait and trundle of with it. And about 4 hr's cursing snags, another 8 hr's cursing ducks and another few days poised over a rod cos i got a 'twitch'. Eat them? After all that hassle i've always put them back

I've waited 7 days for a bite in France....I don't really enjoy waiting that long...I get bored to easily :roll:

Latest posts

Back