flow control tap for mini keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regfixit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have persevered with this flow control tap unit, but it seems whatever pressure I have and whatever I set the flow control to, all I get is a glass of foam. I am suspecting the flow control part is causing too much turbulence.
image1.jpeg

The only other idea I had was maybe the dip tube setup I have - I use rigid 3/8 beer line on the spear and am wondering if gas is getting in via the thread on the bottom of the spear unit and kind of pre-foaming the beer before it leaves the keg.

It was £40 off ebay, so I am wondering if there are better alternatives. Does anyone else use something similar ? I have seen Dark Farm do one for £40
Mini keg beer tap faucet with flow control ball lock quick disconnect Homebrew - Dark Farm
And also BrewKegTap for £58
NukaTap Flow Control - Keg Mounted

Hi @Regfixit. There are other recent threads on this if you search for 'flow control disconnect', but my experience of the same piece of kit was similar to yours, only I managed to pour a decent pint after the first couple of foamy ones. I found that a low psi (4 or 5), with the valve only about a quarter turn open, gave me an OK pour. It was just more than a trickle but worked out well. It was a Pilsner, force carbonated at 12 psi for 2 weeks in a fridge at 4degrees.

I paid £40 for mines on Amazon.

Got a Chocolate Oatmeal stout in my keg now, which will be ready to drink in a couple of weeks. Difference this time is that this one is carbonating naturally as I batch primed. I'll see how this one goes when I connect the tap etc.

Edit - apologies - just realised that you have posted within one of the threads 'Mini Kegs'. Good to have a separate thread on this so others can give some advice on this tap.

Ok, so I have persevered with this flow control tap unit, but it seems whatever pressure I have and whatever I set the flow control to, all I get is a glass of foam. I am suspecting the flow control part is causing too much turbulence.
View attachment 45553
The only other idea I had was maybe the dip tube setup I have - I use rigid 3/8 beer line on the spear and am wondering if gas is getting in via the thread on the bottom of the spear unit and kind of pre-foaming the beer before it leaves the keg.

It was £40 off ebay, so I am wondering if there are better alternatives. Does anyone else use something similar ? I have seen Dark Farm do one for £40
Mini keg beer tap faucet with flow control ball lock quick disconnect Homebrew - Dark Farm
And also BrewKegTap for £58
NukaTap Flow Control - Keg Mounted

Hi @Regfixit, I'm just starting on a similar journey but without the flow control tap. Just out of interest, what was your temp / pressure and timescale? I'm seeing lots of variation in my research....

Hi @Regfixit, I'm just starting on a similar journey but without the flow control tap. Just out of interest, what was your temp / pressure and timescale? I'm seeing lots of variation in my research....
Most recent was commercial Stella Artois in fridge at 4c and 8psi. I tried at more or less zero psi and also at 15 but just lots of foam unfortunately

I went with THIS Perlic 690SS tap with Flow Control, pricey and I am still waiting for my first brew to carb up to try it.

Most recent was commercial Stella Artois in fridge at 4c and 8psi. I tried at more or less zero psi and also at 15 but just lots of foam unfortunately

When you say "commercial" Stella - what does that mean. Is that canned Stella poured into the keg....?

When you say "commercial" Stella - what does that mean. Is that canned Stella poured into the keg....?
No, it's Stella from a 50litre pub keg that I transferred 5l of to my mini keg with a closed transfer for a picnic. I started off building a home bar and commercial kegs, then decided to start brewing as well, but my own lager is still lagering at the moment....

No, it's Stella from a 50litre pub keg that I transferred 5l of to my mini keg with a closed transfer for a picnic. I started off building a home bar and commercial kegs, then decided to start brewing as well, but my own lager is still lagering at the moment....

Was it already carbed when you transferred it?

Easily solved like this. Starting at your flow control disconnect:

JG FFL female to 3/8 adapter (PI4512F4S) connected to...
JG 3/8 to 3/16 stem reducer (PI061206S) connected to...
2 metres of 3/16 Valpar beer line connected to...
JG 3/8 to 5/8 adapter (PI451215FS) connected to...
Your tap!

Easily solved like this. Starting at your flow control disconnect:

JG FFL female to 3/8 adapter (PI4512F4S) connected to...
2 metres of 3/16 Valpar beer line connected to...
JG 3/8 to 5/8 adapter (PI451215FS) connected to...
Your tap!
Thanks, but this is for a portable mini keg (see pic) to take on picnic etc. Not really the idea to have umpteen valves and 2 metres of beer line.

I have not had a great pour from my flow control ball lock connector. I use mine with about a foot of tubing and not had much luck with regular tap or picnic tap.
You want just enough gas pressure to squeeze the beer out of the keg and no more. Trouble is those regulators not that good at low pressure levels. 4 foot of 4mm line should give you a good pour though just wind it round the keg and put a jacket on the keg and it will keep the keg and line cool.

Thanks, but this is for a portable mini keg (see pic) to take on picnic etc. Not really the idea to have umpteen valves and 2 metres of beer line.
These things are really tiny. The stem reducers slide discretely in the FFL connectors, which screw on the disconnects. The beer line can be coiled or wrapped around the kegs as described in the post above.

What are your thoughts on the mixer nozzle type things I posted about?

I would try a different dip tube. I used the rigid beer line before and had similar foaming issues as it didn't seal properly on the thread even though it seemed to be a tight fit.

it’s a key of Stella like you get in a pub. the Brewery carb it
Ok, so I guess you just need enough gas to lift the beer out? I'd imagine that's only a very small amount. Are you leaving the gas pressure on all the time? If so, I reckon it will be carbonating the beer that's already carbed if that makes sense - ie too much. What happens if you open the tap with the gas completely off, wait for any flow to drop then open the gas slowly to push the beer out?

Thanks for all the replies and comments. A lot of food for thought, although I'm still scratching my head a bit. Taking them in turn:
These things are really tiny. The stem reducers slide discretely in the FFL connectors, which screw on the disconnects. The beer line can be coiled or wrapped around the kegs as described in the post above.

What are your thoughts on the mixer nozzle type things I posted about?
It looked interesting, but I thought was more for a full sized corny keg than my mini and I am still suspicious it may be down to the dip tube I am using so am not going to go down that route just yet.

I would try a different dip tube. I used the rigid beer line before and had similar foaming issues as it didn't seal properly on the thread even though it seemed to be a tight fit.
Do you have suggestions of what to try. I did use some PVC siphon tube, but had same issue. I then tried to put a clip around the tube to clamp it to the thread, but didn't have one small enough. Might go to get one from Halfords today and try it.

Ok, so I guess you just need enough gas to lift the beer out? I'd imagine that's only a very small amount. Are you leaving the gas pressure on all the time? If so, I reckon it will be carbonating the beer that's already carbed if that makes sense - ie too much. What happens if you open the tap with the gas completely off, wait for any flow to drop then open the gas slowly to push the beer out?
I filled the mini from the Stella keg then kept it in fridge with no gas connected. Then I fitted tap and mini CO2 cartridge and tried to dispense at 8 psi - pure froth. I then turned gas off and used PRV to remove pressure then tried again but still really foamy.

I've had no troubles in the past connecting this mini keg to my Porta font via the beer cooler and serving that way so I am now wondering about the tap itself. I tried connecting the tap directly to a black disconnect and using it without the flow control part and it was still frothy.

I'll be interested to hear how your Perlick tap goes when you use it @Galena I don't mind investing a bit more in quality kit if it is a good solution.

Thanks for all the replies and comments. A lot of food for thought, although I'm still scratching my head a bit. Taking them in turn:

Do you have suggestions of what to try. I did use some PVC siphon tube, but had same issue. I then tried to put a clip around the tube to clamp it to the thread, but didn't have one small enough. Might go to get one from Halfords today and try it.

On one keg I have pvc tube. This is 6mm internal diameter (which I believe is smaller than the standard syphon tubing). This is a nice tight fit but I also have a small hose clamp on it just to be sure. The clamp is 8-10mm and is the fuel line type hose clamp rather then the typical jubilee clamp that don't work well with small diameters.
On the other keg I have 3/8 beer line that connected via a short bit of tight fitting silicone tube. No clamp on this one.

By George I think that was it @Dads_Ale - the dip tube athumb..

Exhibit A - I was using 3/8 rigid beer line screwed up onto this spigot:
IMG_8999.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

resulting in this abomination:
IMG_8995.jpg

Using PVC siphon tube that is indeed a bit too big, but with a clamp I found and clamping it up onto the smooth shank below the thread:
IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8997.jpg

resulted in this:
IMG_8994.jpg

Not bad at all as I'd had to refill the mini just now to do this and hadn't let it settle. Both pours done at 8psi.

Now I just need to find a better tube (6mm ID) and clamp as I'm not sure this one is stainless/food safe, etc.
However, keg is only half full so I'll just drink it today as it's a nice sunny Saturday !

The other thing I wondered is about using a stainless steel dip tube from a corny keg. I haven't dismantled my cornies to see how they are put together, but I am wondering if something line this(cut down in length obviously) with a backing nut onto the threaded part of the spigot might work
corny dip tube

Back