Foraged wines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackToBasics

Reaction score
I was out picking gorse flowers for a couple of hours yesterday (still need more!) and plan on starting a brew with them today. I've also got plans for a dandelion wine that the fields behind my house will provide most of the raw materials for. Unfortunately, I'm yet to locate any elder trees around here so elderflower is out for now but I'm sure there must be other items from the countryside larder that I can use. Nettles are an option but finding ones that definitely haven't been sprayed could be interesting as it's mainly farm land around here.

Is anyone else here into the foraging side of things? Care to share tales/recipes?

I've got a book (booze for free) and a foragery course booked in the next few months. Should be fun! Always a fan of elderflower, blackberries, but going on a hoard this year. If you're by fields, stay close to the houses, that's where you're likely to find things. Nature reserves and country road sides are great too. Dandelion wine should be easy right now :)

Dandelion wine is good but can be a bit bitter if you get too much green stuff in it.

I had great fun foraging last year.

One thing I did learn is that a blackthorn bush that is dripping in sloes looks exactly like a blackthorn bush that has none, so don't ever assume a bush is barren just because it looks like it is.

Also, make sure you have LOADS of TCP (or equivalent) at home. Blackthorns and dog-roses are the sadists of the plant world.

My first year, I made raspberry and blackberry wines with fruit foraged from the canal towpath. Last year the crops were so bad I had do a combined-fruit one and use fruit from my garden in it as well.

We had a good year for blackberries last year. Abysmal for apples, which wasn't so good for the bramble jelly - it really needs bramleys to get a good flavour, and all we had were some cox-like eaters.

I'm picking dandelion and gorse as well at the moment. Supposedly they make a very nice wine when mixed together.

beech leaves for a beech leaf noyau (in the Booze for Free book), also thought about a broom flower wine, until I realised that the hedge is forsythia and not broom.

This will be my fourth year running with blackberry wine, second with elderflower champagne and elderberry wine, first year with nettle champagne (bubbling away at the moment). They are all a real treat. I really ought to get out and nab some of those dandelions in the meadow, too.

i usually try and make a dj of elderberry port to replenish my aged stocks. Best left a few years (my oldest is 20 yrs :whistle: )

I however am rather partial to elderberry stout so most of my elderberry effort these days is for this and not wine.

:thumb:

graysalchemy said:
i usually try and make a dj of elderberry port to replenish my aged stocks. Best left a few years (my oldest is 20 yrs :whistle: )

I'm hoping I have the self-control to let some of my elderberry last that long! Perhaps the trick is to make twice as much as you'll use each year, and leave what you don't use to mature.

I only have one bottle. I am going to give making stilton a go to go with it for the next big birthday, still six yrs to go though :lol: :lol:

Hi BtoB, been foraging for a few years now and i would say to anyone, get out a few times per month to see what is in your area, i now know where there are all sorts of goodies in my local area and i even found a stand of elder which is about a month behind all others due to being in a wooded area, a definit this year is Hawthorn blossom, i did 2 galls last year and it is great, cheers Dave

I only have one bottle. I am going to give making stilton a go to go with it for the next big birthday, still six yrs to go though

Forget waiting 6 years Gray, try Aldis cheese biscuits and Danish blue, a match made in heaven, Dave ps had some for tea yummy

I want to do some dandelion wine but am unsure I can get the flowers in one go. I thought you ha to do that with flower wines. How should you store the flowers while you are waiting to pick more?

Forgot to say I have done elderflower wine (champagne this year as well), elderberry wine, elderberry port, nettle and a nettle and ginger wine. All very tastey if Ido say so myself!

. How should you store the flowers while you are waiting to pick more.

I would freeze them, i must admit i am also tempted with Dandelion but most of them are suspect due to the dogs in the area :shock: , Dave

alanywiseman said:
I want to do some dandelion wine but am unsure I can get the flowers in one go. I thought you ha to do that with flower wines. How should you store the flowers while you are waiting to pick more?

I don't know if they'll freeze. Don't think owt else is going to be any good though.
It does take a surprisingly long time to pick a gallon bucket of heads!

Picking dandelion heads and a bad back (24-7) is not good so i can only wonder what it tastes like, Dave

Latest posts

Back