Free Braumeister hop basket ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Instead of a hop bag or a sieve for the hops, what about using the malt pipe. !!

Mount it on the stirrup, by its upper lugs with ONLY the lower filter plate inserted. Voila.
Remove after boil.

Plenty of space for circulation.

What do you think chaps?

MashBag said:
Instead of a hop bag or a sieve for the hops, what about using the malt pipe. !!

Mount it on the stirrup, by its upper lugs with ONLY the lower filter plate inserted. Voila.
Remove after boil.

What do you think chaps?

Sounds interesting, I suppose the only thing to watch would be the amount of boil-off to ensure it doesn't drop too low.

I've almost finished manufacturing a dip tube that should rest less than 5mm from the base of the pot, due to try it this weekend, will post up details in the main BM thread if it works.

I did not get around to trying this this time because it was still full of malt.

But I did wonder if the boil would rattle the lower filter plate and let the hops escape. I will soon have more hopping solutions that are know what to do with :D

For me it is important to be able to get the hops out of the boil as soon as possible after the boil, because I do not chill.

PS water level shouldn't be a problem - plenty of depth if you set the malt tube on **** highest lugs.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this yet? I'm tempted, might have to add something heavy to keep the filter plate down though. Would you use the filter mesh too or do you think it would warp with the heat? I'm thinking the filter plate would be enough on its own.

Remove after boil.

What do you think chaps?

The only problem that I can see is if you use an immersion coil chiller and stick it in at 15 minutes from the end of the boil to sterilise.

The malt pipe would then have to be removed, so couldn't be used for very late addition hops.

Cheers
Andy

How do you get on with this sytem, Mash. I have had ideas about a DIY version using a Pi as the control.
S

It did work well. I did use a ss weight that and the elements being around the outside, not a problem.

Blimey I have drunk a few beers since I first posted this 😱😱

Latest posts

Back