Free Scotland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Should Scotland have the right to decide its own future?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Err. Don't think we had a truly English dynasty as monarchs for best part of a millennium. We've imported French (Norman's and Plantagenet) , Welsh Tudors , Scottish Stuart's , the Dutch House of Orange, Hannovarians etc, the current lot had to change their family name a century ago. Truly a nation of immigrants.

Also if only the Scots get a vote and the rest of us don't - I assume as an English resident tax payer it won't cost me a single penny and the Scottish tax payer picks up the bill for EVERYTHING including any costs incurred by whoever is left in the UK.
"No taxation without representation!"

Look here at this Quality of Life index, taken mid year 2022.

Pay particular attention to some of the European countries there and give some thought to their size/population.....

Some PLEASE PLEASE just tell me..... Why is Scotland uniquely placed to be unable to operate as a country, or as has become the new question.... To raise funds as needed to operate as said country.
I take it this ‘quality of life’ list was compiled by a man.

I take it this ‘quality of life’ list was compiled by a man.

There are various organisations that monitor these things, and the results are usually pretty similar.

Even if you don't value these sort of measures or their methods, feel free to refer back to the GDP figures for the UK. Scotland has the highest GDP outside London and the Southeast.

It's no different from an Ireland, or a Finland. Could have been no different from a Norway, but oil is a diminishing* resource.

*Both in volume and future reliance.

There are various organisations that monitor these things, and the results are usually pretty similar.

Even if you don't value these sort of measures or their methods, feel free to refer back to the GDP figures for the UK. Scotland has the highest GDP outside London and the Southeast.

It's no different from an Ireland, or a Finland. Could have been no different from a Norway, but oil is a diminishing* resource.

*Both in volume and future reliance.
So what are you moaning about?

Jeez, now I know why I was avoiding this thread.

As a left-leaning Indy-skeptic I think I’m struggling to find a single post in amongst18 pages of arguing that I agree with 😂

Last edited:
Jeez, now I know why I was avoiding this thread.

As a left-leaning Indy-skeptic I think I’m struggling to find a single post in amongst18 pages of arguing that I agree with 😂
Easily said, MD. What's your position then?
Apart from left-leaning, indy-skeptic, that is. Or is that enough?

Easily said, MD. What's your position then?
Apart from left-leaning, indy-skeptic, that is. Or is that enough?
In terms of actually holding the referendum - the Indy parties currently “have” Holyrood (albeit with only around 45% of the votes) and the referendum was on their manifesto so they should have the right to hold one.

However, I think it’s far from the right time. Ignoring all the other arguments in the thread, there’s the fact nobody has any money yet the SG have held back £20M to fund the referendum. It could be much better used to help people by boosting things like the FuelWell scheme - that could be an average of £675k per local authority area to help people struggling with the cost of living crisis.

In terms of actually holding the referendum - the Indy parties currently “have” Holyrood (albeit with only around 45% of the votes) and the referendum was on their manifesto so they should have the right to hold one.

However, I think it’s far from the right time. Ignoring all the other arguments in the thread, there’s the fact nobody has any money yet the SG have held back £20M to fund the referendum. It could be much better used to help people by boosting things like the FuelWell scheme - that could be an average of £675k per local authority area to help people struggling with the cost of living crisis.
And that's why the views of redidents are so much more insightful than those of us living in other countries or continents. Having said that, when would it be the right time? Would it ever be the right time?

£20 million would be a cheap referendum!?

yet the SG have held back £20M to fund the referendum. It could be much better used to help people

That's a fair point, but it is what the SNP were voted in for. I certainly don't vote for them for their record in government (though they're preferable to most of the alternatives).

I just wonder why there is this reluctance to free Scotland from the Union. What is it that motivates England to keep hold of Scotland, where, by most accounts Scotland is a drain on resources etc?

I just wonder why there is this reluctance to free Scotland from the Union. What is it that motivates England to keep hold of Scotland, where, by most accounts Scotland is a drain on resources etc?

It's curious isn't it.

I wonder is it that if Scotland were given a second chance at a referendum, then perhaps others might demand a second vote on another more recent referendum

I wonder is it that if Scotland were given a second chance at a referendum, then perhaps others might demand a second vote on another more recent referendum

I'm sure it's one of the things on the UK government's mind, but until a political party puts it in their manifesto and is voted in on the basis of a second EU referendum, it would lack the same legitimacy.

Latest posts

Back