Freeview/Freesat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You lot got your freesat stuff,I got Sky,some have fire sticks or whatever. All can be unreliable,glitch,go wonky in extreme weather etc. The ultimate end to this is probably full fibre optic to the house but unless Virgin rent the lines out it won't get much better...maybe.

We got sky's full fibre (BT openreach) to the house when we came to renew our broadband contract. It worked out cheaper to get the fibre to the house than to renew the old fibre to the cabinet. I'm certain they inflated the price to get people to switch. The new fibre is plenty fast enough but unless we're forced to because they scrap Freeview/Freesat we won't be using the Freeview over broadband stuff. No recording? Not for me.....

Cheers Tom

The new Freely service is due to start sometime this year.
Up to now only new Hisense TVs will have the Freely tuner/software inside but the forthcoming Manhattan T4-R will support "Freeview over broadband" so may get permission in time from the powers that be.

I assume its going to be paid for by adverts i will stick to the my 4K PVR and Freeview HD PVR.

For the first time for free, British viewers will be able to easily browse and watch live TV channels together with on demand content streamed straight to their smart TV via the internet.

The new fibre is plenty fast enough but unless we're forced to because they scrap Freeview/Freesat we won't be using the Freeview over broadband stuff. No recording? Not for me.....

Same here.

I have been "holding my breath" for the new Manhattan box but I'm getting close to needing to breathe so may need to go for the Arris Freesat instead 🤷‍♂️

Cheers Tom

I have been "holding my breath" for the new Manhattan box but I'm getting close to needing to breathe so may need to go for the Arris Freesat instead 🤷‍♂️

Cheers Tom

All i can say is my original 500GB Arris Freesat box was fine and when the HDD drive failed i didn't bother to look for more than a few minutes at rivals i bought the Arris 1TB version with no hesitation.

Last edited:
Just tried on an app I have on my phone.
Download 33.
Upload 10

Should be fine Clint -

What broadband speed do you need for BBC iPlayer?

The BBC recommends the following broadband speeds for the Player:

• SD quality recommended speed: 1.5Mbps
  • HD quality recommended speed: 5Mbps
  • 4K quality recommended speed: 24Mbps

What broadband speed do you need for Netflix?

High Definition (HD) (720p): 3Mbps or higher
Full High Definition (FHD) (1080p): 5Mbps or higher
Ultra High Definition (UHD) (4K): 15Mbps or higher

Netflix can work on speeds as low as 500Kb, but the picture quality will be badly impacted. Especially if you’re viewing on a big screen.

All i can say is my original 500GB Arris Freesat box was fine and when the HDD drive failed i didn't bother to look for more than a few minutes at rivals i bought the Arris 1TB version with no hesitation.
How long did you have the 500gb box before the hard drive failed? And how long have you had the 1tb box?

Cheers Tom

just done a check on ours, we are virgin should be good for most things
IMG_1872.jpeg

How long did you have the 500gb box before the hard drive failed? And how long have you had the 1tb box?

Cheers Tom

I cannot remember but it was a few years ago when the foxsat boxes had stopped being manufactured.

I cannot remember but it was a few years ago when the foxsat boxes had stopped being manufactured.
I only asked as the Arris box was only released in 2020 so if you've had one fail already it's not a good sign. Could have been bad luck though but hard drives usually run without issue for years. When I was at work all our system control PC's ran 24/7 all year round. Our Vestel Freeview hard drive failed years ago but I had a spare machine and put the "failed" hard drive in and it was fine. Turns out a component on the main board has a tendency to randomly fail causing it not to see the hard drive.

Cheers Tom

I didn't know they were first sold in 2020.
I record and playback every day so my Freesat box gets a lot of use, there are videos showing how to install a new hard drive and it's very easy to do but as I assumed the box was a few years old I decided to go for the new 1TB version, looks like I could have saved some money aheadbutt

I didn't know they were first sold in 2020.
I record and playback every day so my Freesat box gets a lot of use, there are videos showing how to install a new hard drive and it's very easy to do but as I assumed the box was a few years old I decided to go for the new 1TB version, looks like I could have saved some money aheadbutt
It's still quite possible that the hard drive did fail?

Cheers Tom

It would be great if someone could help me to understand the point of Freely. Is it simply so that you don't need an aerial any more?

I'm struggling to see any other benefit. Ta.
It's basically an eventual replacement for both Freeview and Freesat. It's so they can eventually shut down all the big transmitting masts and also not need to find replacement satellites to beam Freesat from when they reach the end of their life in a few years.

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back